Seriously OT, sort of, driveshaft question

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
OK, it's not Vette related but it is a drive train question. My '99 GMC uses a two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing. Years ago I put a PTO in it to run an air compressor. Now the PTO is crapping out and the compressor is no longer worth running so I'm going back to a similar to original set up. Only problem is I need to make a new shaft to go between. I have a two piece set up from another truck but it's longer than it needs to be. I talked to a driveline shop about having it cut and balanced but they tell me they need both shafts, the carrier bearing and all the u-joints to balance it. I don't understand this. If both shafts are balanced independently, why is that not "balanced"? If they're balanced separately how can they become unbalanced when reassembled?

Same story from my d/line shop when putting a 700 in the motor home, in place of the 350 tranny.....knock off 2.5" on that d/shaft length, they did it one piece for cheaper, and it works fine...YMMV, I used the same logic you did....

:shocking::gurney: