Motor home, carb vs L98 inj.

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
We finally got outta town this past weekend, and so best I can calculate we have maybe 7 mpg on the thing with a Qjet....it is a class C MH with a 350 SBC and a 700 r4 pushing a 411 dualie rear, ~2000 rpm at 60-70 mph on the GPS,

so the trick is, I have damn nearly a whole L98 setup that will bolt on that engine, need maybe 100 bux in parts....

the thing weighs 8000 lbs by the GVW rating on the GM P30 MH chassis....

it is a cab over 'sleeper' and no rake to the window above...

the trick is, will the L98 injection do it any good...keep in mind for 100 bux or less and a bit of effort, having all these parts laying around, WILL I get a significant economy increase to warrant the work??

I know the QJ on the thing now is pretty nearly correct, none of the typical problems, but I wonder about more tuning with it, and part/jets/rods I don't have....

opinions please....

:thumbs::fishing:

I have no idea if mpg will improve, but I'll be watching. My boat get 0.76 mpg, so any improvement = a lot of gas.
Is the L98 the late 80s/early 90s tbi setup?
We finally got outta town this past weekend, and so best I can calculate we have maybe 7 mpg on the thing with a Qjet....it is a class C MH with a 350 SBC and a 700 r4 pushing a 411 dualie rear, ~2000 rpm at 60-70 mph on the GPS,

so the trick is, I have damn nearly a whole L98 setup that will bolt on that engine, need maybe 100 bux in parts....

the thing weighs 8000 lbs by the GVW rating on the GM P30 MH chassis....

it is a cab over 'sleeper' and no rake to the window above...

the trick is, will the L98 injection do it any good...keep in mind for 100 bux or less and a bit of effort, having all these parts laying around, WILL I get a significant economy increase to warrant the work??

I know the QJ on the thing now is pretty nearly correct, none of the typical problems, but I wonder about more tuning with it, and part/jets/rods I don't have....

opinions please....

:thumbs::fishing:

L98 = rpo for 5.7TPI either F body or Corvette

I know, question is, with dragging a 8k lbs motor home, will it get better fuel economy, than the Qj on it now....getting ~7 mpg??

class C motor home windage of a brick, like we accuse our C3's of....

:fishing:

I know, question is, with dragging a 8k lbs motor home, will it get better fuel economy, than the Qj on it now....getting ~7 mpg??

NO. My 10,000 GVW dually P/U with T-body inj. got 7mpg. Let it be Gene.

Yeh, but you dragging more vertical roads, I just running flat lands....

highest point in all of Florida is some 350' elevation, serious....

:confused:

Find a rear with a 3.73 gear. Like you said, ain't no big hills in FLA. Run that thing over to a truck stop, spend $20 and go across the scales. I bet it's not even close to 8k. All the aerodynamics of a brick won't help either, but short of a major remodel you can't help that. And I'd bet even that won't help much either.
It is what it is.

Yeh, but you dragging more vertical roads, I just running flat lands....

highest point in all of Florida is some 350' elevation, serious....

:confused:

Try cow magnets and tornado air cleaners. :suicide:(You no listen).