TKO 500/600 Pilot Bushing

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Went to the store to purchase a pilot bushing for a TKO conversion. The guy showed me two different ones, 1.093OD x .642ID and 1.093OD x .592ID. I thought they were all the same but you learn something every day. Ended up going back to measure.

The shaft for the TKO is .59 or 15mm. I'm glad I discovered this before I started the install!

shit, didn't know....now I'm worried I have the wrong one... fark!!! I didnt cut the X member, taking the trans off is a PITA!!!!!!!!!!! aaahhhhhh,,,,

So, If I have the stock Muncie 4 speed that came with my 68, the TKO 500 tranny can use the same pilot bushing?

I was thinking about putting a 5 speed in the 68, but don't want to change the pilot busing. It was hard to hammer into the crank. Wouldn't want to take it out laying on my back under the car.

I think the Muncie and the Tremec are both .59. I think the vast majority are .59 ID. However, when I went to the store, I assumed that there was only 1 size. Not sure of the application for the larger one.

Muncie and TKO are definitely 0.59.
Even GM 1 ton diesels run a 0.59. There must be some oddball trans out there.

I just bought a TKO 600 Friday. I bought it from "Chris" at Keisler. I asked and Chris said the TKO 600 needed a different pilot bearing than the Muncie.

I wasn't happy to hear that. When I installed a ZZ4 into my 68, I installed a new roller pilot bearing. It was difficult to get in. I used an extension (long) socket about the same OD as the pilot bearing I was installing and pounded it in with a mallet. It's going to be a SOB to remove I afraid. Maybe Chris thought I had a stock bronze bearing, and maybe the TKO needs a roller, etc, so maybe I'll be ok after all.

I wanted to buy a TKO 500, but it turns out that the gear ratios of the TKO 600 most perfectly match the stock M-20 Muncie. The 600 is a much stronger tranny (600 ft-lbs), but it's more expensive. The tranny and the complete kit, including a new driveshaft, came to $3499. The TKO 500 has a much lower (numerically higher) first gear, so the TKO 500 would red line me in first gear too quickly. That's why the TKO 600 was recommended and when you look at the gear ratios (below), you can see that the 600 is a natural.

Muncie M-20: 2.52, 1.88, 1.46, 1.00
TKO 600:...... 2.87, 1.89. 1.28. 1.00, 0.64

Keisler quotes a 2 or 3 week shipping delay. They said they have to remove the tail piece and machine it to fit the Vette. Since they have the tail piece off, they also apparently disassemble the tranny and re-assemble it. They said they've had problems with Tremac quality control, so they verify that everything is to-spec before shipping.
ve

With my Muncie I do 3000 rpm at 70 mph. That really sucks the gasoline down.
Now I'm going to be looking at 1920 rpm at 70 mph. Of course, considering the amount I drive the car, I'll never rally make up the $3499. But this will help my 68 survive in a world of high gasoline prices. It's 42 years old and I hope it's still drivable 42 years from now. With the replacement of the tranny, every moving mechanical part in the drive train, with the exception of the tachometer, will be new. My 68 may be drivable 42 years from now, but I don't think I'll be driving the car unless I live to 112 years old.

Last edited:
i've received my TKO-600 tranny and all the bits and pieces for the install. About that pilot bearing............

The pilot bearing in the TKO-600 kit visually looks like the same roller bearing pilot busing I pounded into my ZZ4. I took the TKO-600 pilot bearing and slide it over the input shaft of the TKO-600. It had a little bit of wiggle room. I then took the same TKO-supplied pilot bearing and slide it over a spare Muncie input shaft that I have. It had the same amount of wiggle play. It felt the same when I installed it on the TKO-600 as when I did when I installed it on the Muncie input shaft. I really don't think I need to replace the roller pilot bearing now installed in the ZZ4 when I install the the TKO-600. The ZZ4 probably has less than 300 miles on it.

Enjoy that overdrive. If nothing else it will save your nerves & hearing on a long cruise. I put a TKO-II in my 'Vette and I love it. It has an .82 overdrive which compliments my gearing to a tee. :thumbs: