TBI vs Carb

SMYDA

Knuckle Dragger
Curious ....
I have a 91 K5 Blazer with a TBI 350 V8.
I also have a 350 from a 78 4x4 that I rebuilt but no longer have the
truck it was intended to go in. The rebuilt motor is now a 355 with
RV cam, Edelbrock Performer intake w/Rochester 4bbl carb.
The bottom end has all been balanced.

I'm considering putting this motor in the Blazer.
So my question is ... keep the TBI that is factory to the truck or toss it
and use the Carb. As for gas mileage the TBI doesn't seem to be any better
than other carberated trucks I've owned.

TBI at a minimum, and if I was doing it, get a stock TPI and change over some of the wiring, much of it is really compatible, believe it or not....

meaning you don't have to go ape shit installing a new harness, just modify the existing....

then you have instant torque at idle, total control, much better fuel economy....

:friends:

Will the TPI intake bolt up to early 70s heads?
The heads I have on the rebuilt motor are early sbc 400 w/small valves.

I think the TBI intake is for the later style heads. The angle of the bolt holes is wrong for the early heads. I've fixed that before with a drill. Probably not the best way around that but it worked. May be better off finding an intake with TBI for early heads.

Yeh, Tim's right, they did mess with bolt angles , but I dunno what year, maybe '87 with aluminum heads?? early on I think it was just the center two over the exhaust crossover that don't exist on a TPI, it's blocked off I would assume the same for the TBI??

You will be able to tell in a second upon looking at the manifold....

:crutches:

I guess the question to my first post is ... does the TBI (Throttle Body) have any real advantage over a carb? If so .. is there an adapter to mount it to the Performer intake?

My second post was asking about the TPI (Tune Port) .. but I'm guessing it'll be the same situation as the TBI.

I see my post was moved to the EFI thread .... DUH! :sos: :clobbered:
I didn't realize there was one .... looks like most of my questions are already answered here ...... :thumbs::thumbs: :drink:

I guess the question to my first post is ... does the TBI (Throttle Body) have any real advantage over a carb? If so .. is there an adapter to mount it to the Performer intake?

My second post was asking about the TPI (Tune Port) .. but I'm guessing it'll be the same situation as the TBI.

TBI should have given you much better fuel economy and driveability over a carb. I had a 82 trans am with LG4 and that feedback carb and switched to a 90 L98 with TBI for fuel delivery and it MPG was much better.

Yes adapters are available.

TBI should have given you much better fuel economy and driveability over a carb. I had a 82 trans am with LG4 and that feedback carb and switched to a 90 L98 with TBI for fuel delivery and it MPG was much better.

89-91 L98 was a speed density TPI Tuned POrt, not throttle Body INjection....

technically 89 TPI was mass air just didn't have a cold start injector. My 90 engine had TPI but I choose to run it with TBI is all.

technically 89 TPI was mass air just didn't have a cold start injector. My 90 engine had TPI but I choose to run it with TBI is all.

OH, '89 was mass air yet? I know my '87 vette was, but I sold it and bought this '72 for some modifications fun, being a old show car it was a perfect candidate...cheep too....so it's always been speed density....but now a daze I really could go mass air, but wonder if it would be worth the effort from a fuel economy perspective....changing all the computer shit around too...jeez...:goodevil: