T-Top Trim Removal?

DO2G

Can someone tell me how the trim around the T-Tops of a 78 are properly taken off for painting then reinstalled? I guess the rivets are drilled out, but then how is it reinstalled?

Thanks

I do not remember any rivets, I think there were a few small screws under the weatherstripping. I took mine off when I painted the car, carefully pry and push the stainless trim outwards. I reinstalled with 3M glue (weatherstripping adhesive).

I do not remember any rivets, I think there were a few small screws under the weatherstripping. I took mine off when I painted the car, carefully pry and push the stainless trim outwards. I reinstalled with 3M glue (weatherstripping adhesive).

I'm pretty sure it has rivets, but I will double check tonight. I also thought I read somewhere that no one sells replacement t-top trim??

Last edited:
I have not seen replacement SS trim in the catalogs, they sell used trim and it's not cheap.
The black rubber trim for glass tops fits the fiberglass tops - a cheap and easy solution if you prefer black trim (Ecklers, $50)

There are 2 rivits in the rear on the outside corners. If you are removing the chrome pieces on the front corners of the windshield, there are 2 screws on the windshield side. You will probably have to remove the windshield, or crack it getting them out. I got them out without removing the windshield, but I couldn't get them back in without cracking the glass.

Had the windshield replaced, and the installation guy just pushed it out with his hands. He said the sealer back then never dried, and has since been outlawed. It cost about 240.00 to have it replaced. Cheap in comparison with everything else.

I thought I read somewhere that no one sells replacement t-top trim??

I've heard the same thing, so be careful taking them off and putting them back on. Used pieces, when you can find them are quite pricey and sometimes not in as nice shape as the pieces you were taking off in the first place.:smash: