Project 69

jjmartin78

OK so Dad brought up the Vette a couple of weeks ago. I have since pulled off the damaged front end and took off the supercharger, pulled the motor and transmission. Have some questions hope you guys that have done this. I will not be doing and road or drag racing with this but I do want it to be predictable in the corners.

1. Suspension is pretty rotted they have different stage kits for sale my thought is to use everything stock just by the kit and update a little. Any recommendations.

2. Jeep steering coversion - One should I do it (figured it would be easier with the engine out) , two will the jeep coversion work with BBC and Side Pipes as far as fitment goes. Do you suggest buying the direct bolt on mod or doing it myself.

3. Fiberglass - one piece front end where to get best quality for the price? Two want to do the L88 flair kit do I do ACI (heard fitment is not good) or two get them from Custom Image Corvette (which was made by a guy name Stan)

BTW you guys are doing some awe inspiring work on your vettes and really appreciate the knowledge that is shared on this forum.

OK so Dad brought up the Vette a couple of weeks ago. I have since pulled off the damaged front end and took off the supercharger, pulled the motor and transmission. Have some questions hope you guys that have done this. I will not be doing and road or drag racing with this but I do want it to be predictable in the corners.

1. Suspension is pretty rotted they have different stage kits for sale my thought is to use everything stock just by the kit and update a little. Any recommendations.

2. Jeep steering coversion - One should I do it (figured it would be easier with the engine out) , two will the jeep coversion work with BBC and Side Pipes as far as fitment goes. Do you suggest buying the direct bolt on mod or doing it myself.

3. Fiberglass - one piece front end where to get best quality for the price? Two want to do the L88 flair kit do I do ACI (heard fitment is not good) or two get them from Custom Image Corvette (which was made by a guy name Stan)

BTW you guys are doing some awe inspiring work on your vettes and really appreciate the knowledge that is shared on this forum.

JJ,
I will say something about #2. I have installed a Borgeson steering setup and it is a similar set up. You can take a look this if you are interested. http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=97.

1 suspension: stock rebuild is probably cheapest and might be ok for what you eant, the 550lbs coils work well with Bilstein shocks. Pretty good setup for the money. Buy the good Moog ball joints, you wont regret spending the extra cash

2 - no experience with the Jeep box, I have a rack waiting to be installed

3- Vanacor's fiberglass fits pretty good and is not too pricey. no matter what you buy , it all takes some work to get it fit correctly.

Thanks guys for the input.

Just ordered flairs front and back and the top surround and lower valance from custom image corvettes and also the high rise lip for the rear.

Will the borgenstein steering work with a big block with side pipes as far as room?

Just ordered flairs front and back and the top surround and lower valance from custom image corvettes and also the high rise lip for the rear.

Will the borgenstein steering work with a big block with side pipes as far as room?

JJ,
I am not sure about the fit with bb. I have a sb and had to get a set of block huggers to miss the steering box. Most normal headers are a problem, But, if I remember bb exhaust manifolds sweep towards the rear quickly as they exit the engine and that might work.

Also, if you buy rubber or urethane products for your suspension buy American you will not regret it. Most Corvette suppiers sell both import and American. You might have to ask for it. The American stuff is more expensive, but it lasts.

JJ,
I am not sure about the fit with bb. I have a sb and had to get a set of block huggers to miss the steering box. Most normal headers are a problem, But, if I remember bb exhaust manifolds sweep towards the rear quickly as they exit the engine and that might work.

Also, if you buy rubber or urethane products for your suspension buy American you will not regret it.
Most Corvette suppiers sell both import and American. You might have to ask for it. The American stuff is more expensive, but it lasts.

Got that right, years ago a trick at the drags was to take a stout chain, and go from engine to frame/shock tower, etc making it snug with a little slack...

saved many a left/driver's side engine mount doing that....a trick I not used since the early 70's....maybe longer....

:surrender::crap: