383 SBC questions

BangkokDean

I have been thinking about getting a bigger small block motor, I know I am the only one looking for a bigger SBC :quote:

I would love to buy a complete 427 Small block but that is not in my budget so on the Summit pages I saw this setup advertised at 405 HP.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MLL-BP3830CT1&autoview=sku

The option is get a complete setup or use my top end and cam on the 383 short block. Also using my flywheel hooker headers and Edl 600 carb.

The car is never raced and yearly driving around 3,000 miles. Lots of idling in Bangkok traffic.

Leave your 350 bottom end alone, just remove the heads, intake and carb and transplant that onto a new 383 short block - that's by far the best value for your money.
I bought a 1pc rear main seal block with roller cam and forged rotating assembly from MandRengines in CA. They were good to deal with and their cheaper 383 short block with cast crank and hyper pistons is around $1700 incl roller cam and timing set (estimated based on what I paid for the cam upgrade and the $1300 base price for their short block).
Contact ManR, theenginestore.com, Ohiocrank and see what they offer. Your biggest problem (most expensive) will be the shipping I assume.....

Leave your 350 bottom end alone, just remove the heads, intake and carb and transplant that onto a new 383 short block - that's by far the best value for your money.
I bought a 1pc rear main seal block with roller cam and forged rotating assembly from MandRengines in CA. They were good to deal with and their cheaper 383 short block with cast crank and hyper pistons is around $1700 incl roller cam and timing set (estimated based on what I paid for the cam upgrade and the $1300 base price for their short block).
Contact ManR, theenginestore.com, Ohiocrank and see what they offer. Your biggest problem (most expensive) will be the shipping I assume.....

I have someone that can add the motor to a container and get it into TH with out too much hassle.
What do you think of this short block?

http://www.mandrengines.com/store/p...d=225&osCsid=8a68fd4f795e9be7d4a595519e202a72

I have someone that can add the motor to a container and get it into TH with out too much hassle.
What do you think of this short block?

http://www.mandrengines.com/store/p...d=225&osCsid=8a68fd4f795e9be7d4a595519e202a72

They're really not very specific with their description, you'll need to email them for a more specific quote. I didn't even see if that $2400 short block was a 1pc or 2pc rms, roller cam prepped or not....
I ordered (and had them send me a written quote with all these details):
1pc rms block, hot tanked and painted , bored .030 over (not .040, not.060), decked to 9.005", forged crank and pistons, 5.700" rods, pistons with 18cc dish to get to 9.8:1CR with my 64cc heads. Comp cam 230-236 dur roller cam installed with factory style roller lifters and locking hardware, timing chain set... all installed, cam degreed, boxed and shipped was a few cents under $3000 (shipping was $200 to a residential address)

They're really not very specific with their description, you'll need to email them for a more specific quote. I didn't even see if that $2400 short block was a 1pc or 2pc rms, roller cam prepped or not....
I ordered (and had them send me a written quote with all these details):
1pc rms block, hot tanked and painted , bored .030 over (not .040, not.060), decked to 9.005", forged crank and pistons, 5.700" rods, pistons with 18cc dish to get to 9.8:1CR with my 64cc heads. Comp cam 230-236 dur roller cam installed with factory style roller lifters and locking hardware, timing chain set... all installed, cam degreed, boxed and shipped was a few cents under $3000 (shipping was $200 to a residential address)

I believe my heads are the same as yours so what HP/TQ numbers are you getting with your 383?

I believe my heads are the same as yours so what HP/TQ numbers are you getting with your 383?

Yes we have the same heads and the intake/carb seems to be the same as well (Performer intake, 600cfm carb).
No idea about the HP/TQ numbers, all I can tell you is that when I push the pedal down it moves.... I only have less than 500 miles on the engine and I don't want to rev it too high, can't wait to change my oil after another 200-300 miles and then see how it does at 6000 or above.... I think the carb is too small but we'll see....

Yes we have the same heads and the intake/carb seems to be the same as well (Performer intake, 600cfm carb).
No idea about the HP/TQ numbers, all I can tell you is that when I push the pedal down it moves.... I only have less than 500 miles on the engine and I don't want to rev it too high, can't wait to change my oil after another 200-300 miles and then see how it does at 6000 or above.... I think the carb is too small but we'll see....

:thumbs: Love to hear how things work out