FULL TILT - 77 Custom C3

77Custom

Hi all. I just found this forum, and while I see there are some of the same cats as CF and DC... I thought I would post up FULL TILT for your comments here.

The full build (in pictures) can be found at:

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff412/FullTilt1977/

The short version of the Saga of Full Tilt is:

I built a mildly custom 77 back in 2004-5.... showed it, raced it, drove 4 Power Tours, blew up 3 motors..... well, you get the idea.

In March of 2009, the perfect storm occurred... i had a full tank of 110 race gas in the tank, and when starting the motor, the carb (Barry Grant Mighty Demon) backfired.... at the exact same time the electric fuel pump decided to short in the ON position. This started a fire on top of the motor.... which was being fed by high octane gas at 140 gpm.

I emptied TWO fire extinquishers on it as it laughed at me. LUCKILY... I was across the street from a fire dept... they were onsite in minutes, and managed to put it out before the tank blew up ! THANK GOD for steel braided lines and AN Fittings! And damn, fire burns QUICK !

When I tore it apart.. I decided to do something totally crazy... and 3 years later, after hand fabricating damn near every single part of the car from the windshield forward, Full Tilt lives.

Your comments are always welcome!!

Enjoy!

Robert

FULL TILT BEFORE
vetteburn7.jpg
DSC02665.jpg

FULL TILT AFTER
20110827103655.jpg
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff412/FullTilt1977/20110827103742.jpg
20110901100801.jpg
20110826100509.jpg
20110901101021.jpg

Awesome build 77.Love the build pics and nice to see how someone can follow through on a vision of their finished car.I noticed your front and rear spoilers and don't think I've seen either on another car.I especially like the rear one as I believe this body style( like my '78)needs that to finish off the rear styling.I might make it a little closer the body,not sure.Anyway, can you tell where it came from? Thanks Rick

Thanks meister!

Both the front and rear spoilers are totally hand made. I hated everything else I saw on the market, so I fabbed my own. The rear one took me 7 tries to get right, the front took 3. I made the rear one for the previous build, and did not take any pics of that process .... the front one was made this past August... and I believe I have pics posted on my photobucket site.

Thanks meister!

Both the front and rear spoilers are totally hand made. I hated everything else I saw on the market, so I fabbed my own. The rear one took me 7 tries to get right, the front took 3. I made the rear one for the previous build, and did not take any pics of that process .... the front one was made this past August... and I believe I have pics posted on my photobucket site.

Same feeling here, the rear spoiler is tastefully made, blend beautifully.
If you have any info on how you made it, I'm listening.

Denpo,

There really isn't any way to talk you through the fab of my wing. Cut out of cardboard to get the basic shape & size, then layer after layer of fiberglass... and a TON of sanding until it "looked right". Mounted with 4 nuts molded into the bottoms of the uprights with 4 bolts through the rear package deck. Simple really......

Did the same thing with the front splitter, although the mounting hardware is totally different and exposed. Those pics are in my photobucket page.

Thanks for kind words!

BTW... Love your avatar!

Denpo,

There really isn't any way to talk you through the fab of my wing. Cut out of cardboard to get the basic shape & size, then layer after layer of fiberglass... and a TON of sanding until it "looked right". Mounted with 4 nuts molded into the bottoms of the uprights with 4 bolts through the rear package deck. Simple really......

Did the same thing with the front splitter, although the mounting hardware is totally different and exposed. Those pics are in my photobucket page.

Thanks for kind words!

BTW... Love your avatar!
Well, that's information actually, thanks. I was wondering is you took aerodynamics in consideration when choosing the rear spoiler shape/angle?
I've been following your build on DC for a while, even if I'm no fan on lambo scissor door I have to admit your project is gorgeous.

Denpo,

Yes I did think about the downforce quite a bit. The rear wing extends about an inch past the rear of the car... and at speeds over 140 mph.. you can REALLY notice the aerodynamic difference.

I have had Full Tilt to 206 mph before she burnt.... and at that speed, with the rear wing, the azz is PLANTED onto the road!

Denpo,

Yes I did think about the downforce quite a bit. The rear wing extends about an inch past the rear of the car... and at speeds over 140 mph.. you can REALLY notice the aerodynamic difference.

I have had Full Tilt to 206 mph before she burnt.... and at that speed, with the rear wing, the azz is PLANTED onto the road!

Just GOTTA LOVE that car, not only the color but the body work, styling....I not much on the flip up doors either, but WTF, it's a overall GREAT effort, end on the nose it looks GREAT....

one question, was the ~200 mph run measured on a GPS or how??

:thumbs::thumbs:

Mrvette,

The speed was a ticket from a state trooper. Also my speedo, which is calibrated very close. Now... the trooper is a friend of mine... and it was 4Am in the morning..... but it was for REAL.

If anyone out there would grant me track time to prove it AGAIN... I would most love to do so.

Best,

Robert

Mrvette,

The speed was a ticket from a state trooper. Also my speedo, which is calibrated very close. Now... the trooper is a friend of mine... and it was 4Am in the morning..... but it was for REAL.

If anyone out there would grant me track time to prove it AGAIN... I would most love to do so.

Best,

Robert

OK, I would like to hear details on engine HP, trans and diff ratios.

Kid,
To answer your question is almost like writing a short novel... but here are the Cliff Notes:

It's an all custom built 383 stoker motor. I started with a 1972 4 bolt main block.. bored 30 over, added a custom polished forged Eagle crank, flat top Mahle race Pistons, H-beam forged rods, and the highest end racing bearings throughout the lower end. Everything balanced to within 1/100,000 th of a gram. Yes, this did take some time. And before any of that I had decked the block..... I run a massive flat track oil pump and a system that has a custom oil pan, keeping at least 2 quarts under the pickup no matter where I throw the front end under any speed. (I have blown 3 motors learning how to keep bearings oiled under extreme conditions)

Full Tilt has a custom ground COMP cam. Sorry, but I am not going to tell what the grind is! HEads are highly modified Eldebrock 8095's. They have been ported. polished, and shaved to create a 13.5 to 1 compression ratio. I run titanium pushrods, solid lifters, and my own combination of a titanium duel spring set up. Top all of that with Scorpion 1.8 rocker arms.... and then polish the crap out of everything that shows!

INtake is a Edlebrock EPS Performer... which has been ported and polished (Inside).

Carb is a (constantly) tweaked Barry Grant 650 CFM Might Demon. Love this carb! Has its little problems... but after pissing around with Holleys for the last 30 years, this is a dream carb.

All the ignition and timing comes from MSD. And parts of that setup I have gotten from MSD in Texas directly. It seems that Full TIlt is a bit more demanding than the local parts store... so MSD helped me out. Custom 9mm wires, 6AL Igintion, and a custom billet distributor keeps my baby happy.

20110708195251.jpg

Trans is a highly modified TH400. By that I mean that I have replaced everything within the casing with the same internals that every drag guy has. Racing pumps, extra large valves etc etc.... shifted by a B&N Ratchet, but I modified it as well to better accomodate my style of driving... which is rather hardcore...

DSC02718.jpg

The drive shaft and half shafts are all custom pieces... basically to accept 3350 Spicer Ujoints. It was a real PITA... but I know the HP I create... and after thrashing this setup for over 5 years, around numerous roads and tracks, they are not only still intact, but in perfect condition. So 3350's it is for the rest of my life.

I run 3:73 gears in the diff on the street on a regular basis....and have had this car to 160 MPH on a regular basis..... Yes I am nuts!..... when I was clocked at 206 mph... I had changed them to 1:76. I was experimenting.... and OK.... I CHEATED.

So there.. you have it. I built this engine in my own family 2 car garage. Nothing that anyone else here could not do. To go that fast however, its not so much about making horsepower... but rather in how you contain and DIRECT it.

Any moron can burn the tires off his car .... but hook it up, and control it? That my friend, is the challenge.

All the Best to you....

Robert

Kid,
To answer your question is almost like writing a short novel... but here are the Cliff Notes:

It's an all custom built 383 stoker motor. I started with a 1972 4 bolt main block.. bored 30 over, added a custom polished forged Eagle crank, flat top Mahle race Pistons, H-beam forged rods, and the highest end racing bearings throughout the lower end. Everything balanced to within 1/100,000 th of a gram. Yes, this did take some time. And before any of that I had decked the block..... I run a massive flat track oil pump and a system that has a custom oil pan, keeping at least 2 quarts under the pickup no matter where I throw the front end under any speed. (I have blown 3 motors learning how to keep bearings oiled under extreme conditions)

Full Tilt has a custom ground COMP cam. Sorry, but I am not going to tell what the grind is! HEads are highly modified Eldebrock 8095's. They have been ported. polished, and shaved to create a 13.5 to 1 compression ratio. I run titanium pushrods, solid lifters, and my own combination of a titanium duel spring set up. Top all of that with Scorpion 1.8 rocker arms.... and then polish the crap out of everything that shows!

INtake is a Edlebrock EPS Performer... which has been ported and polished (Inside).

Carb is a (constantly) tweaked Barry Grant 650 CFM Might Demon. Love this carb! Has its little problems... but after pissing around with Holleys for the last 30 years, this is a dream carb.

All the ignition and timing comes from MSD. And parts of that setup I have gotten from MSD in Texas directly. It seems that Full TIlt is a bit more demanding than the local parts store... so MSD helped me out. Custom 9mm wires, 6AL Igintion, and a custom billet distributor keeps my baby happy.

Trans is a highly modified TH400. By that I mean that I have replaced everything within the casing with the same internals that every drag guy has. Racing pumps, extra large valves etc etc.... shifted by a B&N Ratchet, but I modified it as well to better accomodate my style of driving... which is rather hardcore...

The drive shaft and half shafts are all custom pieces... basically to accept 3350 Spicer Ujoints. It was a real PITA... but I know the HP I create... and after thrashing this setup for over 5 years, around numerous roads and tracks, they are not only still intact, but in perfect condition. So 3350's it is for the rest of my life.

I run 3:73 gears in the diff on the street on a regular basis....and have had this car to 160 MPH on a regular basis..... Yes I am nuts!..... when I was clocked at 206 mph... I had changed them to 1:76. I was experimenting.... and OK.... I CHEATED.

So there.. you have it. I built this engine in my own family 2 car garage. Nothing that anyone else here could not do. To go that fast however, its not so much about making horsepower... but rather in how you contain and DIRECT it.

Any moron can burn the tires off his car .... but hook it up, and control it? That my friend, is the challenge.

All the Best to you....

Robert

ONE .76 I can see 273 something possible, but nothing milder, I assume a typo....

many discussions about high speeds attainable in sharks...which is why I ask, supposedly they all get light in the front and hard to steer with the lift, so wonder how you got around that....

:yahoo:

mrvette.... you are correct. I must have been WAY to deep in the red wine last night! I had swapped in 2.73 rear gears for those runs!

And I have lowered the living crap out of the front end.... basically sits about 1 inch off the ground. Scrapes the trailer, can only barely get it on a lift (with alot of shifting effort!) .... but as a consequence, at high speeds, the front end goes straight down. Guess I got real lucky with that!

I really can't wait to run Full Tilt now, and see whether the splitter I fabbed helps or hurts the lift on the front end.....

As I have said before at least 10 times...
That is one kick ass color on that car!

Mrv.... I do ... but things are real tough business-wise right now. We are having to move after 16 years, and it's a real PITA! I am re-assembling my 1931 Model A Rumble Seat Roadster right now just so I can move a whole car, rather than hundreds of parts!

She was a bare frame 3 days ago..... Here she is at the moment:
20120111132842.jpg