how much environmental impact to build a Hybrid

turtlevette

The Turdle
I'm sick of these damn greenies looking at me like i'm satan.

I bet the planet suffers a lot more to build one of their damn preis hybrids than due to me driving my vette around.

And all these damn breeding bastards that have like 4 kids. If people were concerned about the planet they wouldn't have any kids.

There's way more to it than simply what car you drive.

I bet the planet suffers a lot more to build one of their damn preis hybrids than due to me driving my vette around.

Okay. I'll play. I have a friend that is a professor at Cal State Fullerton. He is one of these guys that does enviromental impact studies. The type where they shut down major construction projects because of the discovery of the last known colony of sadistic-turtle dung beetles.
He drives an old panhead, and a 48 chevy pick-up. He states it takes twice as much energy and pollution to recycle a car into a new one, than to rebuild and utilise an old one.:drink:

It's all the vegetarian's fault !!!!

If they were all eating meat like normal human beings we would not have cow dung and fart gases polluting the atmosphere and causing this greenhouse effect.....

drink beer, eat beef !!!!!

(I know, I'll burn in hell....)

Okay. I'll play. I have a friend that is a professor at Cal State Fullerton. He is one of these guys that does enviromental impact studies. The type where they shut down major construction projects because of the discovery of the last known colony of sadistic-turtle dung beetles.
He drives an old panhead, and a 48 chevy pick-up. He states it takes twice as much energy and pollution to recycle a car into a new one, than to rebuild and utilise an old one.:drink:

Panhead--Harley?? Gee, I have a Panhead friend.:friends:

I agree, those prius's are a joke.

They are not eco friendly at all.

First there's the batteries and all the other misc. junk in there. Not only do they have to be produced, at some point they will also have to be recycled or scrapped.

Then there's the fact that the technology changes/advances rapidly these days. So, your 2 y/o prius parts are junk and can't be used on a newer model most likely. So, the scrapheaps and used parts dealers won't know what to do with them most likely. Recycling will be a real pita and with second hand parts being much less worthless they won't be recycled, they'll be scrapped.

The prius is just a result of a marketing strategy, brought to you by the main hoaxer Al "I won the nobel price with my BS" Gore

Everything has to be green these days, green credit cards, green financing..green everything. The only green part about it is that it costs you green!...moolah!!!

I agree, those prius's are a joke.

They are not eco friendly at all.

First there's the batteries and all the other misc. junk in there. Not only do they have to be produced, at some point they will also have to be recycled or scrapped.

Then there's the fact that the technology changes/advances rapidly these days. So, your 2 y/o prius parts are junk and can't be used on a newer model most likely. So, the scrapheaps and used parts dealers won't know what to do with them most likely. Recycling will be a real pita and with second hand parts being much less worthless they won't be recycled, they'll be scrapped.

The prius is just a result of a marketing strategy, brought to you by the main hoaxer Al "I won the nobel price with my BS" Gore

Everything has to be green these days, green credit cards, green financing..green everything. The only green part about it is that it costs you green!...moolah!!!

AND you have to salute the bastards when getting that reach around....

THAT;s the part that pisses ME off.....

:bomb:

When I bought it, the emissions on my car were within the legal limits of when it was sold new. It had the smog pump & etc. for California.

When I rebuilt the engine, I doubled the horsepower, increased the gas milage by almost 4 MPG, and the emissions were considerably reduced further. And I know that I can improve all these numbers even more, by improving the efficiency of my car with the likes of a 5-speed manual tranny and fuel injection.

The number of these old cars on the road today is so few, and most of the people who drive them are into them so much that they keep them running well, so that the emissions produced by them are miniscule in the big picture. Here in the northern front range of Colorado, they recently have done away with smog tests altogether.

Emissions testing for old cars like ours is purely a method of populace control, to keep citizens under the thumb of the corporate/government bureaucratic machine. It has nothing whatsoever to do with public safety, public welfare or environmental protection.

Intelligent people look at all sides of an issue and think about a best overall solution. Stupid people seek a simplistic veiwpoint requiring no thought, just kneejerk reaction. Intelligent people have fewer offspring because they think about consequences. Stupid people have large families because they don't. The general population of the world is getting stupider and stupider with each passing day. But that's what the corporatocracy desires. They don't want a thinking citizenry, they want consumers. Notice how we the people are no longer spoken of as "citizens", but as "consumers". An intelligent person is unsure and questions everything. A stupid person is cocksure about everything.

And that's a fact, Jack.

Last edited:
Intelligent people have fewer offspring because they think about consequences. Stupid people have large families because they don't. The general population of the world is getting stupider and stupider with each passing day. .

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy?

Jphil....interesting thoughts there, largely correct....unfortunately....

Quite honestly, in the scheme of things, the only true long lasting FUN I have had in life is hotrodding.....and sex of course....but like lotsa other crap,,...sex has it's ups and downs.....

:hi::crutches::tomato:

Great movie. The dumbing down of America is already starting. Other Techs I've talked too all agree, that in the last 3 years the IQ of the average person has dropped a LOT.:huh:

Tell me about it.....case closed, as I say....

:rose::sos::sos::sos:

Now, to play the devils advocate so to speak. I have a friend at work who owns a Prius. He works here in the show season, and lives next to J Phil.He gets 50 true MPG, and can drive from L.A. to Loveland Colo. on about $75. I know this same trip in my truck would run $200 or so.
He has 140,000 miles on the car, has only ever changed the oil, and having rode in it, it does scoot fairly well for an economy car.
I am NOT saying I would buy one, I just thought I would inject some of the good points for the sake of Jim's original arguement.

There's no denying they get good gas milage--at least as far as Americans are concerned. But the the total "carbon footprint" of a single one of them outweighs their "green" value. By the time all the components go through all their world wide manufacturing and shipping processes to come together as a car on the street, a 3/4 ton Toyota truck made in Kentucky from ore mined in Montana has a smaller impact on the environment.
Prius's are not going over well in Europe---They cost so much more than regular cars and their milage is not better enough to offset the initial cost.

Trust me John. The only reason they bought it was the milage. Can you say "El Cheapo." LOL

Now, to play the devils advocate so to speak. I have a friend at work who owns a Prius. He works here in the show season, and lives next to J Phil.He gets 50 true MPG, and can drive from L.A. to Loveland Colo. on about $75. I know this same trip in my truck would run $200 or so.
He has 140,000 miles on the car, has only ever changed the oil, and having rode in it, it does scoot fairly well for an economy car.
I am NOT saying I would buy one, I just thought I would inject some of the good points for the sake of Jim's original arguement.

BIRD, you of anyone should know that if everyone drove a Prius in Ca. there would be brownouts NOT caused by Enron.....plain overload....you would have to put another 200 amp box in your house just to charge your car overnight.....the hp requirements are that silly...

:shocking::shocking::shocking:

The prius is a hybrid. Bruce says he never plugs it in.:smash:

Thought a Hybird was electric....it's ethanol??

I drove out of a Chevron station saying 10% ethanol today....

chevron is that damn Venzuala company..that commie bastard chavez??

now that I think of it...read that sign at ethanol...drove on down the road..bad enough at 4 bux, I not loosing another 10% plus risk problems for the troubles....

:shocking::bonkers:

Thought a Hybird was electric....it's ethanol??

No, electric is electric.
A hybrid uses regenerative braking, electric motor, batteries, and a small engine/gen to charge in transit.

As for the "Grid", the strain on the grid is weekdays noon till 5PM. Jim will verify that fact. Most commuters would be driving at that time. Charging an electric vehicle would be "off peak" at night. I have installed these charging stations, and "Believe" they are 30 amp,120volt.