Aluminum/Brass/Steel......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I need to know if using brass/copper fittings into an aluminum manifold will cause corrosion troubles, or if it's ok,

I have iron block, aluminum heads, aluminum rad, but some brass/copper fittings in the lines and three screwed into various spots for heater hoses...

will that cause a problem...will heavy use of ethelyn glycol inhibit the chemical reactions, ???

is there any cure if a problem??

For galvanic corrosion the coolant mix even with it's corrosion inhibitors acts as an electolite and the dissimilar metals make the battery. Corrosion rates seem pretty small but I can usually see some minor pitting arround the thermosat. IMHO there isn't much to worrry about. However, if you want, you could protect the system with an annode just like on boats. A more reactive metal like magnesium can be used as a sacrificial piece and protect the more noble materials.

Grampy

However, if you want, you could protect the system with an annode just like on boats. A more reactive metal like magnesium can be used as a sacrificial piece and protect the more noble materials.Grampy

I agree. I just recently installed my DeWitts aluminum radiator. I had similar concerns about corrosion and I found a new radiator cap with a sacrificial anode. https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-356458-radiator-sacrificial-cap.aspx

DC

Being a old electrical guy, I know about batteries and dissimilar metals, and corrosion,....but my knowledge of just what makes cooling system corrosion is very small, I know iron engines with brass radiators and such have no problems, obviously the car companies have to problems with iron block and aluminum heads....but I note that they most always use aluminum radiators by that time frame also....

but I have a brass heater core, and some brass fittings screwed into the aluminum intake manifold and the heater core to the water pump....

and so with the 3 metals, what to expect long term wise???

:fishing: