To use a sealer or not to?

Cherry

DREAD NAUGHT
Seeing the sanding is almost complete, I have a couple a couple places to fill in,, Must you shoot a sealer before the filler primer is put on? If so. what was the sealer you used? Thanks for the help.

Rich

Does your Vette have a fiberglass or SMC body ?

If you have exposed bare fiberglass I would use epoxy primer/sealer and then high build primer. I'd also seal the primer and then spray basecoat.

When I painted my '79 I used PPG "shopline" products. Since then I used the more expensive PPG 'deltron' stuff and it seems to be worth the extra money, the epoxy primer DP40 is pretty nasty stuff... it seems like it would stick to anything, took a while to clean the gun after using this "glue" ....:smash:

yes, it's a two part mix. Compared to the 'shopline' urethane primer and base/clearcoat the fumes of this epoxy primer are really bad... it sprays easy, really nice to work with it, it's just expensive and it's a pain to clean.
I've used it on exposed metal that I hit with 80 grit prior to primer, adhesion is absolutely great, sticks like glue.

I think it was a 2:1 ratio so 2qt sealer, 1qt activator. I did however have some leftover....2qts sprayable material (mixed) is all you need. I sprayed 1 wet coat on the primer and let it sit for 1hr and then sprayed basecoat.