Shortening an air hose: Best way?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I've got several long hoses in the garage that I use to extend from the compressor to the cars, but the long length isn't necessary to make it to my work bench. I'd like to shorten one to reduce the pressure drop when using my air grinder. Is there a decent fitting to do this? The threaded ends are crimped on, so that's not an option for me to replicate. I assume there's some sort of barbed fitting under the crimp, but I also want something decent to hold the hose onto the fitting. A screw-drive hose clamp would look tacky, and just cut my fingers every other time I used it. What do you guys use to retain the hose when you shorten/repair these things?

Thanks,
Mike

YES< BTDT, LOwes Despot, and look for brass PEX fittings, unions and even T's and 3/8 with a couple nice clamps, not the spiral type, but with tabs and bolts through....maybe have to go automotive supply for them....or a hose supply house....

but that PEX fittings have hose barb? on the surface and so grip nice and solid....

cheep too....

:drink::banghead:

Or you could cheat and take them to Apache Hose and Rubber and get them to crimp the ends at the length you want.

:zzz:

Aeroquip probably makes something you could use. Also, for some custom power steering hoses, I just used google, found a PS repair shop in Arizona, and had them very inexpensively made. But it seems the solution to use the band clamp end at the compressor is the most expedient!!
I bought my compressor from Sears in 1980. I'd like to get a compressor with a bigger capacity. However, this sucker will just not fail. I have religiously not done anything to maintain it. (Well, I do drain the water out of it to avoid the compressor trying to operate my tools on compressed water instead of compressed air.) I do assume that when I do replace it, the new compressor, in today's world, will not last as long as my 1980 Sears compressor.

Why not just use hose and fitting that do not require clamps?
I use them everywhere in the plant at 150psi. The name escapes me but the hose is gray (pliable) and the fitting is barbed but it also has a yellow plastic collar on it. You just slide it on by hand and you are done. They have never popped off and these hoses are run at a constant 150 24/7. I buy the hose by the foot. Runs about 3 bux.
c-ya
ToddG :mobeer:

.....I'd like to get a compressor with a bigger capacity. However, this sucker will just not fail. I have religiously not done anything to maintain it. (Well, I do drain the water out of it to avoid the compressor trying to operate my tools on compressed water instead of compressed air.) I do assume that when I do replace it, the new compressor, in today's world, will not last as long as my 1980 Sears compressor.

I have a second air tank taken from a dead compressor hooked up to mine to double the capacity. It made a heck of a difference. Just ran 5' of hose from the first to the second tank, into a tee fitting with my shop hose coming out of that. The compressor runs longer but it works well.
I valved it so I can remove it and use it as a portable tank, but I never have yet because I also have one of those that's store-bought (well, barrow ditch find, actually). For a decade or more before that I used an old 20lb LP tank with the LP valve replaced with pipe fittings but the capacity was not as great.
As an aside, my compressor from the factory had the pressure relief valve set at 90psi. I pulled it out and adjusted it to increase the pressure to 110. It still works fine and the extra psi helps my air tools a lot.

Last edited:
Why not just use hose and fitting that do not require clamps?
I use them everywhere in the plant at 150psi. The name escapes me but the hose is gray (pliable) and the fitting is barbed but it also has a yellow plastic collar on it. You just slide it on by hand and you are done. They have never popped off and these hoses are run at a constant 150 24/7. I buy the hose by the foot. Runs about 3 bux.
c-ya
ToddG :mobeer:

Parker Hannifin comes to mind.