question on welding aluminum

Belgian1979vette

I want to weld some aluminum, but for me this will be the first time i'm doing this.

I tried to read up on things over the net. Most things relate to a TIG welder with a pedal to control the current. Mine doesn't have one. How do i control it accuratly ?

Called my welder buddy across the river here just now, you have to have a thumb controller, as he finds for some 90% of his welding, mostly commercial pipe work, that a foot controller does not work, he also commented you can NOT scratch start the arc on aluminum, the tungsten will contaminate it every time and fuck up the weld....his machine used what he calls 'hi freq' to start the arc, he mentions what he thinks if a capacitor in the machine, but I would think with an inductor too... but you need control it and of course use Argon/Co gas as a shield....I have picked up plenty of cylinders of it for him over the years.....

he is a artist with a TIG machine, he modded up this LT1 induction to fit on a L98 engine with HEI in the rear....:D

Guy knowing anything of later FI SBC they look at it, and stare, and look again, and stare....:hissyfit::ghost:

I personally am NOT a welder, but just asked what you did to him, and above is about a close as I can remember what he said....he is enough of electrician to wire a house, but not good with theory and electronics....

hope it helps...:crutches:

The problem is, because alu dissipates heat quickly you need a lot of juice to start but once the piece gets hot you need to go down on the heat. Best way to do it is to heat up the workpiece with a torch and try to start it at as low a heat setting as you can. Look up what setting is required for your thickness use the proper size tungsten and then check if you can get a puddle started quickly.

Some welders do have a dun plug for a foot or thumb control but you have to buy it seperately. What do you have?

never use Ar/CO2 when welding alu use straight argon. Mix gas is for MIG,(actually MAG, Active Gas)

Agree on the GD start.

Does your machine have start/stop slope control? freq control? Balance control?

The problem is, because alu dissipates heat quickly you need a lot of juice to start but once the piece gets hot you need to go down on the heat. Best way to do it is to heat up the workpiece with a torch and try to start it at as low a heat setting as you can. Look up what setting is required for your thickness use the proper size tungsten and then check if you can get a puddle started quickly.

Some welders do have a dun plug for a foot or thumb control but you have to buy it seperately. What do you have?

never use Ar/CO2 when welding alu use straight argon. Mix gas is for MIG,(actually MAG, Active Gas)

Agree on the GD start.

Does your machine have start/stop slope control? freq control? Balance control?

Yes, i can set it at a higher start up current and have it go down to a lower amp after some specified time. I can also balance, it does have a cleaning action as well.

Is there some info on the net about power versus thickness/rod ?

Will make a picture of all of the controls that are on it.

Only plain Argon in there.

Migatronic MTE440

I bought it of an professional shop, that bought new equipment, for a not to bad price. Worked like a charm on iron and stainless. I'm not to handy with the rod and stuff, so still need a lot of practice i guess.

It even has a cooling device, just not the cooled torche.

I remember years ago some hippy dippy LOOKING welder had himself a HUGE house with a basement about 12' ceiling height, into a hillside....and in that basement he made NASA stuff for space shots....and so he had a heat oven he baked that Pontiac aluminum intake on to make the welding to do the DPFI on and built out the old carb mount to fit a old Caddy dual 58mm bore throttle body on.....a bit of a project for sure....all TIG welded, I never heard of TIG before talking to him.....Honestly I didn't know it was possible to weld aluminum.....

:lol:

I remember years ago some hippy dippy LOOKING welder had himself a HUGE house with a basement about 12' ceiling height, into a hillside....and in that basement he made NASA stuff for space shots....and so he had a heat oven he baked that Pontiac aluminum intake on to make the welding to do the DPFI on and built out the old carb mount to fit a old Caddy dual 58mm bore throttle body on.....a bit of a project for sure....all TIG welded, I never heard of TIG before talking to him.....Honestly I didn't know it was possible to weld aluminum.....

I almost thought you were going to tell he was building rockets in his basement. Hmm, maybe a new hobby of some sort. Imagine :lol: Like that guy that almost built himself an nuc in his basement with material from watches...

I almost thought you were going to tell he was building rockets in his basement. Hmm, maybe a new hobby of some sort. Imagine :lol: Like that guy that almost built himself an nuc in his basement with material from watches...

Aside from the long hair and leftover hippy look, the guy was really highly recommended by a old machine shop I did business with for years....but they were not into aluminum cyl head repairs and all that shit...over 20 years ago....so that is how the connection, this hippy guy would do a few NASA jobs, and fill in the blanks with this oddball automotive work, including buying cracked aluminum cyl heads and fixing them....selling on the aftermarket....

the man knew just which arc the missile would fly, for sure....:clap: