What is this tool?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
I inherited a bunch of tools from my dad's estate quite a while ago. I ran into this one the other day in a box, and I don't know exactly what it is. I've figured out a few things it would come in handy for, but it's always nice to know what it was originally made for too.

Thanks. Mike

IM001757.jpg

That's what a mother gave to her daughter as a wedding present back in the day. It's just evolved a little bit for the present age.

Last edited:
We call that a "nijptang" it's for pulling nails but also excellent for cutting wires, twisting wires, cutting fence wire...etc but that's not it's purpose. .. is this a real question? LOL or is this really an unusual tool in the US? Everyone here probably has one. Must be because everything is done with pneumatic nail guns over there, this is a very old tool, from back when ships and stuff were mae from wood.

The way to use it is to place it down over a nail and push the mouth as tight against the wood surface as possible, then close it by pressing the legs and use the thing as an lever and roll/pull out the nail.

Pliers for woodworking/nails/wires.... Like Marck says, a very common tool.

It's from way back when they had 1/4" thick calluses to protect their hands... back then they didn't need gloves or rubber handles :D:crutches::sweat:

Serious question, and I appreciate the answers (well, most of them :suspicious: ).
I've never done much serious construction with wood, so my knowledge base is pretty limited (as witnessed here).

Thanks again guys.

I thought I remembered seeing a much larger version that was used to pull railroad spikes from the ties?????

Dad used to build houses back in the 20's and went on to working with engineers at Glen Martin Aircraft building experimental wings....so his tool collection is rather unusual....it's all going to his grandson.....

:crutches::D

Oh, and one of those pullers is in there too....

Last edited:
I don't know about the original intention, but they work just dandy for pulling horse shoes after you use them to cut the clinch off.

Growing up on a farm we used then to trim horses hoofs. I always thought that is what they were originally intended for.

I have had a set similar for about 25 years with shorter handles and carbide tips on the jaws. They also don't close all the way. Called "tile nippers" for cutting ceramic tile.

I use mine for crimping CV boot clamps. Works perfect!
c-ya
ToddG