Clutch fasteners

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
I bought a '90 camaro153 tooth flywheel with its pressure plate, the one that came with the T5's.
They don't come with the bolts.
Start ordering on Summit.

-For the flywheel bolt, 6 x 7/16-20 RH 1"
12-point head or not?

-For the pressure plate bolt, ?? x 3/8-16 1"
how many do I need, 6? 12? 18? (never saw a pressure plate IRL)

-For the scattershield, 4 x 1/2-13
Couldn't find on Summit (I mean bellhousing specific), would regular grade 8 bolt do the job?

Of you course, if the info I could gather so far are wrong, let me know.

I bought a '90 camaro153 tooth flywheel with its pressure plate, the one that came with the T5's.
They don't come with the bolts.
Start ordering on Summit.

-For the flywheel bolt, 6 x 7/16-20 RH 1"
12-point head or not?

-For the pressure plate bolt, ?? x 3/8-16 1"
how many do I need, 6? 12? 18? (never saw a pressure plate IRL)

-For the scattershield, 4 x 1/2-13
Couldn't find on Summit (I mean bellhousing specific), would regular grade 8 bolt do the job?

Of you course, if the info I could gather so far are wrong, let me know.

Only have seen 6 point bolts used on the flywheel, pressure plate and bellhousing.

Thanks Jeff, those 12 point head seem to be somewhat ARP specific.

Ok, I think I might have explained my case a little more.
The flywheel/pressure plate/clutch is already bought but I don't have it in hand yet, it's waiting for me at the border.
If I knew what to order beforehand it would save me a trip to the US.

Flywheel: 6 bolts, I used 6-point

100_2053Small.jpg

Clutch:

looks like it's 6 bolts :

100_2056Small.jpg

Bellhousing: I used standard Grade8 bolts

100_2061Small.jpg

hope this helps

DOn't forget the lockwashers on the flywheel bolts- those are the star washers- look close at MYBAD's picture you can see the shiny tips of them- and the pressure plate bolts are standard split ring lock washers. Grade 8 seems a bit of overkill for the bellhousing bolts, but there's no real reason not to use them either. I use a drop of red locktite on the flywheel bolts too. Probably not needed, but I've never had one come loose either.

YUP, big believer in RED locktite for any criticality ONE bolt....:banghead::gurney:

Grade 8 seems a bit of overkill for the bellhousing bolts, but there's no real reason not to use them either.

hey Tim :)

the Tractor Supply store by my house sells the Grade8 bolts by weight .... it's so cheap, I don't have any lower grade bolts in my garage LOL

DOn't forget the lockwashers on the flywheel bolts- those are the star washers- look close at MYBAD's picture you can see the shiny tips of them- and the pressure plate bolts are standard split ring lock washers. Grade 8 seems a bit of overkill for the bellhousing bolts, but there's no real reason not to use them either. I use a drop of red locktite on the flywheel bolts too. Probably not needed, but I've never had one come loose either.
Roger on all that Tim.
For the record I saw a Milodon flywheel bolt kit using split lock washer, that indeed confused me, thanks for clearing this up.
I'm gonna take those 12 point ARP, they aren't that much more expensive.
Well, I now have to find a 12 point whatever-the-size socket for the torque wrench....

I know split lock washers grade have to match the bolt's grade, is there such thing with star lock? I guess no, but who knows.
Also there is inner and outer star lock washers, any difference?

Grade 8 seems a bit of overkill for the bellhousing bolts, but there's no real reason not to use them either.

hey Tim :)

the Tractor Supply store by my house sells the Grade8 bolts by weight .... it's so cheap, I don't have any lower grade bolts in my garage LOL

I agree, price difference is marginal between grades.
I know only one small hardware store that have pretty much any type of bolt in any kind of grade.
Even the big bolt-and-nuts company here don't even bother stocking stuff like grade-8 fine-thread imperial-size bolt.
And don't get me started on the "7/16 is not a bolt size anymore at Home Depot".:hunter:

All grade 8?
Aren't higher grade bolt supposed to be more brittle when exposed to lateral forces?
I remember a post on some forum arguing how bad and idea would be to use grade 8 TA bolts due to the kind of stress they'd have to withstand.
Dunno, just askin':noob:

The yield strength on a grade 5 bolt (where it stretches) is 81,000 with a tensile strength (shear) of 105,000.
Grade 8's are 130,000 and 150,000.

Pretty big difference if you're pushing them out to the limits.. And like MyBad noted- they're pretty cheap. IIRC, bolts from Caterpillar are even above grade 8 specs.

The yield strength on a grade 5 bolt (where it stretches) is 81,000 with a tensile strength (shear) of 105,000.
So I was wrong. Thanks Tim for the expert's input.

Tim, about that SS bolts for the T arms then?? I would think plenty strong enough....what YOU say???

:huh2:

I hope they're stong enough. I have them in Ol' Red.:sweat:

So I was wrong. Thanks Tim for the expert's input.

Tim, about that SS bolts for the T arms then?? I would think plenty strong enough....what YOU say???

:huh2:

I use to own a hardware store and had an awesome selection of fasterners. In fact, I put in a larger assortment simply because I needed them for my vette. As for stainless steel, typcially they are between grade 2 and 5 but probably closer to grade 2. However, there are different types of stainless bolts and one can probably find higher strength stainless fasteners on the aftermarket. I love using stainless steel fasterners but don't use them on any suspension parts... always grade 8 including my trailing arms. Just not willing to take a chance as the weakest part of the suspension is that part that will fail. With my luck that failure point will be at the worst possible time.

With my luck that failure point will be at the worst possible time.

I can tell that you've never read the fine print in a tech manual. Every one has a statement that, in effect, says exactly what you just did.

:clobbered:

Bottom line: "It's in the RULES!"

With my luck that failure point will be at the worst possible time.

I can tell that you've never read the fine print in a tech manual. Every one has a statement that, in effect, says exactly what you just did.

:clobbered:

Bottom line: "It's in the RULES!"

Murphology, the science and application of Murphy's laws......

Mech. Eng. 101......

:lol: