changing pinion yoke?

donboywalnut

i pulled a series3 with 336gears outa my 79 and am replacing it w aseries 4 with 4 10 gears and just discovered that the pinion yoke on the replacement is smaller than the one i took out and i wonder if i can just switch these yokes with a new seal and permetx on the splines. what torque values would i use? i think i can get the odd ball u-joint that is big one way and little the other, but i would rather not. any info about this will be helpfull to me so thanks in advance, don boy walnut

Well to be technical you should have a 4.11 not 4.10 but that's nothing.

There were 2 pinon yokes used, a 1310 or 1330. The SB 4 spd cars used the smaller 1310 while the later SHP, automatics,and BB cars used the larger 1330 yoke.

Pinion yokes are not installed to a set torque rating, unless a solid sleeve was fit. If the stock crush sleeve is used then follow the procedure for replacing the pinion seal. I recommend you replace the pinion seal again as well and only use a CR/SKF seal.

If your interested I have an extra (large) 1330 pinion yoke if you don`t want to disturb the one on your 3:36...send a PM

.so , can i xchange yokes as far as fit on the p gear? but since i would change yokes the witness marks would not b right ? so should i just torque to bout 90? just guessing. what do u guys think? the info hear has helped me so much in the past couple months and soon i will have my 79 l82 togheter, working on this car has taught me to love it and enjoy learning . thanks 2 everyone, regards, donboywalnut

No, you don't want to set the pinion bearing preload to ft/lb torque but rather in/lb rotation. As long as you're not using 63-64 & some 65 gears then the 1310 or 1330 OR Tom's 1350 billet pinion yoke will be the same spline count.

I recommend you remove the diff to do this job & buy,borrow, or rent a 0-30 in/lb dial TW. Used bearings should be set in the 5-6n/lb range regardless of pinion yoke used.

No, you don't want to set the pinion bearing preload to ft/lb torque but rather in/lb rotation. As long as you're not using 63-64 & some 65 gears then the 1310 or 1330 OR Tom's 1350 billet pinion yoke will be the same spline count.

I recommend you remove the diff to do this job & buy,borrow, or rent a 0-30 in/lb dial TW. Used bearings should be set in the 5-6n/lb range regardless of pinion yoke used.

When this is measured, is it with the seal in place, or without, which would mean witness mark the nut, pull apart, put seal in place, then reassemble with nut and witness mark lineup..??

:eek:

That is with the new seal. The increased drag won't add much to it. Since it's near impossible to get a swing on the pinion with a torque wrench with the diff in the car I would do the job out of the car.