Alignment settings on Macpherson struts?

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
I'm playing with the suspension on my 240Z project car and just replaced a couple springs. Now I'm wondering what I can do to give the car a little negative camber. I don't see how camber is adjusted on these. I know a lot of shops sell "camber plates" for this and other cars but I'm not even sure how these function any differently than a factory configuration.
Please school me on the Macpherson strut thing.

Aftermarket Camber plates allow a great range of adjustment than oem plates.
(at least on my mustang)

If your strut bolts to the spindle as most do, then you can elongate the upper mounting hole and "tilt" the spindle for more or less camber. Once you get it where you want it, tack weld the washers under the bolt head and under the nut to the strut to lock the position. Then use the camber plates for the fine tuning.

02_14_z1993_ford_mustang_suspensionstrut_installed.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, but sadly, mine aren't like that. At least not the early Datsuns. My strut tube is cast as a part of the spindle. Shitty design built into a shitty idea. I haven't researched it much yet but I think I'm going to have to do the aftermarket camber plates. Either that, or slot the bolt holes in the strut tower. But I really don't like that idea.

I'm playing with the suspension on my 240Z project car and just replaced a couple springs. Now I'm wondering what I can do to give the car a little negative camber. I don't see how camber is adjusted on these. I know a lot of shops sell "camber plates" for this and other cars but I'm not even sure how these function any differently than a factory configuration.
Please school me on the Macpherson strut thing.

You mean camber plates like this? http://www.arizonazcar.com/camberplate.html

Seems like a lot of work, but nice when it's done.

Bolt on from ground control. You lose your vintage look with these. We just slotted the upper bolt holes on struts years past.

CCPZ_fs.jpg

Bolt on from ground control. You lose your vintage look with these. We just slotted the upper bolt holes on struts years past.

Other than bling, what do those bring to the table?? that for cheep, the holes are slotted right there in the garage....:beer:

CCPZ_fs.jpg
Looks like what I'll have to do, if I want any adjustability. As for the original look, I could not care less. I guess the thing to do first though is get the final wheel/tire combo and see how it handles then. It may be an exercise in futility.

On a lot of the older struts the top holes in the aprons were much larger than than the studs and usually gave enough for adjustment. You can also just elongate them a bit if it's enough for what you want.
Most cars had a brace available that went accross to the other side to tie the two towers together. Others went back to the center of the firewall.