Spark plugs - wrong info in edelbrock tech doc???

MYBAD79

BangkokDean's question about which are the best plugs for his Edelbrock aluminum heads made me look at the tech doc on Edelbrock's website.
It clearly states that gasketed plugs are required. I looked at my spare plugs and they're all gasketed. I pulled a plug and it is also gasketed.... but then I looked at the seat and it's conical.

2148259d30941f8.jpg

So I've been running the wrong plugs for 4+ years..... great....

The plugs shown on vendors websites (AutoZone, AdvancedAuto) are not necessarily the actual plug, these pics are often for reference only so you can't really go by what's shown (gasketed or conical)...

The plugs listed for a stock '79 Vette are f.e Bosch BP9 and these have a conical seat ...

Bottom line: have a close look and pay attention to what seat you have and what plug you install.... :sweat::wink:

wait a minute. all aluminum heads require washers so you are doing the right thing. That does not look like a tapered seat to me. A later iron head clearly has a bevel. 79 vettes had iron heads and used tapered plugs.

the tapered plugs will hog out the aluminum if i'm correct.

don't do tapered.

the Dutch Wizard can confirm this, but i'm 99% sure.

Last edited:
Looking at your pic there and that does not look like a tapered seat,have to agree with the turtle here,if you put in a tapered plug you could mess up the alum.I would wait and double triple check before you change from a gasket plug to a taper (which i think is wrong)

My Edel heads were gasketed......end of story, you are fine use R45TSX think I got that number right....sometimes I suffer CRS though...

:thumbs::tomato:

OK.... a little embarrassing but I just blame it on my pain med.... :bonkers:

I took another pic:

214825b9485eec8.jpg

I marked the taper section "B" and the flat section "A"

I thought the tapered section "B" is the seat..... wrong.....

Here's the spark plug that I removed : the gasket is crushing on the flat surface "A", you can also see a small amount of gasket material pushed into the taper

214825b947be29f.jpg

I'll put the Autolite 3926 back in the hole where I pulled it from....

:goodnight::goodnight::goodnight: