Corvette Racing at Limerock, CT 2011 Slideshow

Geoff Coenen

$9.95 for 112 octane

Did not see John Fitch, but it did rain Friday in practice & qualifying.
Race day Saturday was fabulous: sunny & warm but no humidity.

Regretfully an accident in the first 15 minutes doomed the 2 Corvettes as they were repaired but down several laps which they could not overcome. The last pics in the slides shows the damage to the #4 team car.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3jHmYaYXoA[/ame]

PS I had a great time. And when I ran into the #3 Corvette team manager, he waved & said hello. My head is still inflated over that.
Go Corvette!

I am hopeless; take too many pics, shoot too much video & eat too much.
This is practice in the rain.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSOzn5dmuZQ[/ame]

Part 3 - Practice on a dry track

Limerock, CT ALMS practice laps on a dry track July 8-9, 2011. Watch the roll out to practice & traffic jam in the staging area. Then 12 clips of the #3 & #4 Corvettes practicing on a dry track. In the first clip of track practice, you can hear a squeal of the tires as someone brakes hard and them see the #4 Corvette slows quickly to avoid the Muscle Milk P1 car twice that is braking to avoid a Gold Porsche that has spun going up the hill. A cat in the straw hat momentarily blocks the view of the spinning Gold Porsche & then the second Corvette #3 comes by as that Porsche limps up the escape chute. He or she was over there twice: oversteer 2x. :D

This section of the track is notorious for spins. On this corner, on almost every lap first the right side wheels get airborne, follow by the left side as they diagonally whip over the concrete track corners. The turn is like a 90 degree turn into someone's driveway at 90 MPH, and they fly through here. Lots of scuff marks on the track and ruts in the grass when oversteering or power steering or toque steering :D I luv it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvyiYXXf98[/ame]

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed the moments thinking what it would be like driving that yellow car. Driving in the rain?.....can't see myself doing that!!!

This section of the track is notorious for spins. On this corner, on almost every lap first the right side wheels get airborne, follow by the left side as they diagonally whip over the concrete track corners. The turn is like a 90 degree turn into someone's driveway at 90 MPH, and they fly through here. Lots of scuff marks on the track and ruts in the grass when oversteering or power steering or toque steering :D I luv it.

Is this something new? I've driven that track several times and don't remember it.

I have only been able able to video 2 spins - the one from last years limerock rain practice and another of a "porch". I usually miss them, because most are not a Corvette and I'm completely prejudiced when filming - if it's a'int a BowTie I don't pan it.

The black skid marks on the track are very evident in this turn at the base of the hill. Looking at the last 2 clips of the dry practice video - I could only slow them down to 12.5 % normal speed (iPhoto on iMac), but it looks like the tire lifts - but I could not slip a piece of paper in to check for sure. :D

I'm a relative newcomer to this track, but my friend Fred tells me this corner was added after an "incident" - a can am type car came up the hill & lifted at the top, then continued on the rear wheels for quite a distance - thank God the track is straight there. Next lap or so, he flipped right over upside down. Next year they added this chicane and all the faster classes use it.

How's about you come back to Limerock, to an ALMS race in July 2012 and we can figger it owt over a kold one?

Truthfully I alway blew this track off because it's so small. Prefering Bridgehamptom, the Glen, Sebring - the bigger tracks - but now as a rather sedentary fan, I have come to realize that my favorite racers come by every 55 seconds or so - that way I get to shoot, film, pan & drool more times per hour that the longer venues. Selfish me.
Plus it's only an hour & a half away.

Truthfully I alway blew this track off because it's so small. Prefering Bridgehamptom, the Glen, Sebring - the bigger tracks - but now as a rather sedentary fan, I have come to realize that my favorite racers come by every 55 seconds or so - that way I get to shoot, film, pan & drool more times per hour that the longer venues. Selfish me.
Plus it's only an hour & a half away.

It's a fun one. Its been converted to a private club so its harder for COM to get time there.

5076530031_large.jpg