Improved Wire Wheel Brush?

Red

The photo shows an improvement I have been using for quite a while on small wire wheel brushes. This one needed replacement recently and I thought to take a photo. They do make extensions that holds a 1/4 inch shank tool with two allen screws. I have one, but the large mounting area sometimes limits movement into a tight area. In any event, I have found this a useful improvement and doesn't take much effort. I simply weld the wire wheel brush onto a length of 1/4 inch diameter rod. A vise jaw opened enough to tack the parts works well and allows some straightening before finishing the job. You can see how the old brush is worn and now asymmetrical.
HeaderWrap011.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a rather simple to do but I have never thought of it, great idea :thumbs:

Have you considered a sleeve (1/4" inner diameter tubing for example) so you can hold it and apply a little more pressure to the wire brush ??

I usally weld the shaft to the round sandwich plate on the end as it's just sort of rivited and will spin if you put a lot of pressure on it

I usally weld the shaft to the round sandwich plate on the end as it's just sort of rivited and will spin if you put a lot of pressure on it

Funny, China welding again, wife had a China 4" garden fork, head came off, we going over to my welder buddies' joint so I toss it in the vette, hand it to him asking to tack it back, he proceeds to redesign the thing, adding more steel, and seriously weld it......

NOW it will take the treads off a tank......

:smash::smash::thumbs:

This is a rather simple to do but I have never thought of it, great idea :thumbs:

Have you considered a sleeve (1/4" inner diameter tubing for example) so you can hold it and apply a little more pressure to the wire brush ??

Great suggestion that would take stress off the forward drill motor bushing/bearing!!
This is the part that tends to fail on drills used on jobs that apply lateral stress. My scrap bin doesn't have tubing with that description, but I will keep my eyes open and try it. Using the tube sleeve will require some grease and gloves though, as it will get hot from friction. A drill bit stop can be used to keep the tubing where you want it. Good brainstorm idea!

TT, I can't say I have had problems with the rivet failing and the brush spinning on the shank. When it did happen once, I just used a punch and staked the rivet and solved the problem.

Great suggestion that would take stress off the forward drill motor bushing/bearing!!
This is the part that tends to fail on drills used on jobs that apply lateral stress. My scrap bin doesn't have tubing with that description, but I will keep my eyes open and try it. Using the tube sleeve will require some grease and gloves though, as it will get hot from friction. A drill bit stop can be used to keep the tubing where you want it. Good brainstorm idea!

TT, I can't say I have had problems with the rivet failing and the brush spinning on the shank. When it did happen once, I just used a punch and staked the rivet and solved the problem.

HD or a hobby shop has brass tubing for that, and so to solder a brass handle on it....or just use another section or two of the same tubing for a handle....

:smash::thumbs:

I made up and extension like that for cleaning out boxes. Just a set screw to hold and swap brushes. I had many on them spin like TT said and had to weld them too. I've been using this for years.