TH400 rebuild

gkz

I'm installing a B&M TransKit; the whole thing is torn down to parade rest. Just how important is going to a 34 roller sprag/drum? Is the $400 for parts justified behind only a slightly built 350 SBC?

Is the $400 for parts justified behind only a slightly built 350 SBC?

Nope.
I have a buddy that killed several of the high dollar pieces without too much abuse. We're not sure why, but he got tired of paying for them and replaced the last one with a stock part. It lasted for the rest of the time he owned the car.
The car eventually was running 11.40s, so that stock part is pretty tough.

From every thing I have heard over the decades, the 400 in stock form with a TRANS GO shift kit is nearly grenade proof....

I had one years ago that went 300k miles and still chirped rubber....not as crisp as it ONCE was, NEW....

some funny stories over that tranny too....it went in several cars in my hotrod 'family'....

:smash::thumbs:

killed one off in no time in my truck with a 355, completely skips 2nd, still runs but I only have 1st and 3rd gear

dunno, haven't taken it off as it still drives, no broken lugs in the pan though

Save your money, the oem sprag was good for over 500 ft lbs torque.

Back when, I had trannies built for me, so I dunno crap about 400 trannies, really, but know that with my Poncho 455 and SO many miles on that tranny, with a rebuild at a local shop I knew, and a TRANS GO shift kit, which company has NEVER let me down, so far....

that 400 tranny ran 300k miles....through 3 cars and as many friends....

the man who built it was Sherman Slye....of Automotive Transmission INc....known as ATI who grew on to be a HUGE supplier outta Baltimore Md...for Racing and industrial duty torque converters....Jim Beatty was the owner.....I just wish I had gone to work for them when I had the opportunity back ~45? years ago....

look around in old mags, you will spot ATI racing converters/trannies even, maybe....

:shocking::amused: