The Better Mousetrap, Oil Filter Removing Tool

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Was changing oil this weekend and couldn't get the oil filter wrench on the filter (no room for the handle). I went to NAPA and all they had, beside the regular wrenches, were the cup style that fit on the end of the filter. Well that filter was really on there and it just cammed off the filter can. So I went to Sears since it was the only place still open.

I found this tool, worked like a champ! Someone finally invented a oil filter removal tool that will work and work on any filter size. The three jaws are on a gear drive so when you turn the wrench, the jaws tun into the filter with enough force you could probably crush the can if it was on tight enough.

And, as incredible as it sounds, it's made in the USA.

Craftsman Auto adjustable universal oil filter wrench 20523
44dfe0bc7b38f8.jpg

That looks like a good deal Larry. I actually had to cut one off once, and bang the bung off with a chisel and hammer. Argghhh.

I have had 3 finger filter wrench like that for about 10 years now and love it. That and 2 different size band clamps are about the only three filter wrenches that I use at work.

That looks like a good deal Larry. I actually had to cut one off once, and bang the bung off with a chisel and hammer. Argghhh.

U 2 eh?? what a FUN project, rather pull the engine, just for shits and giggles.....

:suicide::stirpot::sos::sweat:

I had to do this on a boat once. Filter was frozen in place so I drove a screwdriver through it and then peeled the can off. Filter plate didn't budge! The engine was down in a well, so the only way to get the remaining filter off was to pull the engine.

Very expensive oil change.:cry:

This thread brought back some memories and answers why there are so many different style filter wrenches on the market. I have had more than one buddy ask how to remove the oil filter they collapsed on removal.

One was a neighbors son who was breaking down a SBC for a rebuild, but the block was always by the open garage door. While talking with him about a plow job, I thought to ask about the block. He said the oil filter collapsed and only the frozen base plate remained on the block and prevented the rebuild. A hammer and chisel and five minutes later it was off. The directions say make it hand tight, but his buddies at the garage he once worked at wanted to leave him with something to remember them by. It would seem they succeeded.

I've used two bottles of StopLeak and while it did stop the leak it also glued the oil filter to the block.... fortunately there was plenty of space so I was able to grab the filter with my "supersize" pliers. It twisted the filter housing and then it finally broke loose, it did take some insane torque though, a good oil filter wrench would have been helpful :lol:

I had to do this on a boat once. Filter was frozen in place so I drove a screwdriver through it and then peeled the can off. Filter plate didn't budge! The engine was down in a well, so the only way to get the remaining filter off was to pull the engine.

Very expensive oil change.:cry:

Did the same thing with my dad many, many years back. dual 305s and he was one that if tight was good, tighter was better (I learned everything not to do from him). Anyway, we managed to get it out without pulling the engine, but it might have been easier and possibly even cheaper.

As for oil filters, that device is pretty sweet but every one of you should own one of these:
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/...9017_0006395283&An=0#largeProductImageWrapper
Strap wrench sold at NAPA and other parts stores. Fits any size you will find in an automotive application and has about 4" of drive. If that's not enough, it will still take a standard 1/2" extension.

[/QUOTE]As for oil filters, that device is pretty sweet but every one of you should own one of these:
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/...9017_0006395283&An=0#largeProductImageWrapper
Strap wrench sold at NAPA and other parts stores. Fits any size you will find in an automotive application and has about 4" of drive. If that's not enough, it will still take a standard 1/2" extension.[/QUOTE]

That strap wrench has been my 'get-r-done' tool for decades. There's very few filters that have refused it. One of the best dollars spent in my box!

[As for oil filters, that device is pretty sweet but every one of you should own one of these:
Strap wrench sold at NAPA and other parts stores. Fits any size you will find in an automotive application and has about 4" of drive. If that's not enough, it will still take a standard 1/2" extension.

I've got a couple of the rubber band versions of those. Didn't get it done for me. Band slips on the oil. Too stretchy causes handle to collapse and bend oil filter.

K&N filters have a stamped steel bolt tack welded to the bottom. I'm expecting that its going to bend, collapse, or twist off when the time comes to remove it.

That hex head on the K&N filters is one of the main reasons Ive used them for years. Never had it pop off. The band wrenches & all the other types including 4" channel locks just never work right on my car, but that 1 1/8" open end wrench slips right in there above the header and loosens it in a snap.

[As for oil filters, that device is pretty sweet but every one of you should own one of these:

I've got a couple of the rubber band versions of those. Didn't get it done for me. Band slips on the oil. Too stretchy causes handle to collapse and bend oil filter.

K&N filters have a stamped steel bolt tack welded to the bottom. I'm expecting that its going to bend, collapse, or twist off when the time comes to remove it.

You cannot compare the rubber band wrench to a true strap wrench. I have crushed compressor filters (200psi working pressure canister) with a strap wrench, but I have yet to run into a filter that has refused my strap wrench. Good example of comparing apples to oranges.