My Rotor's Dust shield's

Stingxray

Well So............I'm assembling the trailing arms and in talking with the BMW / Rice burner auto crosser crowd at work, I found most were removing the Dust shield's from their rear rotors. All were happy with the improvement to cooling, pad life & braking capability.... " Noticeable" they said. So looking at the old Vette .....Duntov rolling over .... I trimmed the shield off leaving the backing plate for the parking brake's only. Anyone else done this and regretted it ? The Only down side I can See is Dusty inner wheels .

P1000349.jpg

Last edited:
No problems here... I left part of mine on to weld on a pipe for brake ducts
(Ground all the rough cut edges down after the pic...)
DSCF1148.jpg

ahh I didnt notice you were asking about the rears... Didnt touch them yet. I dont have a reason to pull the T/A's apart and remove the shields. yet... :surrender:

this is a very simple modificattion, however I never even considered doing this. It simply never occurred to me that these shields could simply be eliminted. Instead I sanded and pinted my dust shields .

Arthur,

You absolutely need the inner part of the shield if you want to keep your parking brake since its what holds the retainer pins for the parking brake springs/cups, also the bumps guide the brake shoes and the key shaped slot is for the actuator arm. You can not eliminate the whole shield.

Yes ......TT .......Perhaps I didn't explain , The first photo shows the center section of the shield cut out........... so as to retain the parking brake's function.

Arthur,

You absolutely need the inner part of the shield if you want to keep your parking brake since its what holds the retainer pins for the parking brake springs/cups, also the bumps guide the brake shoes and the key shaped slot is for the actuator arm. You can not eliminate the whole shield.

thanks Marck, I almost made a mistake

thinking some more about this, can this be cut on the car once the rotor is removed ?