Rotor question

Belgian1979vette

Have a couple of rotor questions : mine are pitted from rust and have runout.

How much can these be turned in a lathe and is this a viable option.

What are the best (oem spec) rotors and who sells them ?

Thanks

The minimum thickness should be stamped into them. For a C3 (I think) the min thickness is 1.215

Yes, cast into the back of the rotor

If you turn then in a lathe you must resurface them to get rid of the spiral groove that will cause brake chatter

skim cutting is an option but maybe not the best option.... there was a video posted recently that showed why rotors should not have a spiral cut but a ground surface instead....
replacement rotors are relatively cheap, I bought some slotted/drilled rotors off Ebay for $200 or so, runout was excellent.... being in Belgium I assume shipping is a killer, these things are heavy....

Also remember these are fixed calipers- if you take .005 off the inside of the rotor, you need to take the same .005 off the outside so the caliper pistons travel the same amount.

Been doing some readup on the subject. Apparently these can only be machined when on the car. The spindle and rotor were machined as a pair in the factory.

Will be difficult to find someone that can do a job like this on these cars.

And yes, shipping is a killer for these heavy pieces

Actually, you may have some good luck in your area. They reface rotors on lots of the newer cars with them mounted on the spindle. Ask around some of the dealers or other shops- I'll bet someone has the tooling. Now if they have the needed adapter for a Vette, you'll be in business.