Halfshaft Trunion

Ralphy

I see some wear with my C3 halfshaft trunions. Are there any existing repairs that can be done to the parts? Or is replacement suggested? Also are there any modifications to reduce the wear next time?

Thanks,
Ralphy

The end of the half shafts or the flange ?? A photo of the location of the wear would help :)

Sometimes the ends of the inside of the shaft can hit the yoke, this can happen when the half shaft angle is way off.

I found a photo on the web that shows damage on the shaft end, is this what yours looks like ?

214debadc4e8a6a.jpg

I'm sorry I messed up. I meant the yoke, stupid me.
Ralphy
sizer

Last edited:
I'm sorry I messed up. I meant the yoke, stupid me.
Ralphy
sizer

You talking the end with the retainer on it? the splined end that wears out inside the diffy?? that has to be replaced, and they can be rebuilt, exchange basis...a outfit called Yogi Behr Bair?? corvette supplier has them rebuilt...mine were gotten from him 16 years ago, 100k miles or better, still OEM spec....

:clap:

Thanks Gene!
It's looking to me as if the bearing area is a sleeve?

Thanks Gene!
It's looking to me as if the bearing area is a sleeve?

NO, that area of the yoke rides in a bearing as I recall.....just like most solid axles... bearing in the tube/housing, slide the shaft home, and it rides on the yoke/shaft/axle .....I don't recall ever seeing a shark yoke have a bad bearing surface...the guy to know on that is Gary :shocking: search the diffy section on the group here, and you will see posts with GTR1999 ...he got more experience than I do on that....WAY more....

:beer:

Yes it is the inner race, however I'm thinking the race serves as the stop at the face.The gap or play would be between the race face and the snap ring, no?

Yes it is the inner race, however I'm thinking the race serves as the stop at the face.The gap or play would be between the race face and the snap ring, no?

The end of the yoke has a snap ring/ keeper on it, to keep it from sliding outta the side gears, that end tends to wear out against the cross shaft, eventually the retainer keeper falls into the oil and if underway, gets chewed up in the gearset....making a MESS....the metal particles get into the bearings ......badly....I remember buying a full set of bearings for the new yokes that had not totally worn to the retainer clips....and cleaning it all up sanitary new clutches, and shims/etc.....Gary grinds his own shims....his stuff is nearly grenade proof.....mine is just a decent stocker rebuild....

:bounce: