80-82 diff

GTR1999

Gearhead
I have an 80-82 diff I bought in a package deal. It has 307 gears in it, side yokes and the original 2.87 gears as well. It feels ok but I did not rebuild it or do anything to it, I do not know the history. I personally don't like these diff's and will not work on it. If anyone is interested let me know $200 + shipping and crate cost. It weights 64 lbs without the rear cover.

Hey Gary, mine is fine but I'm curious why you won't even work on them. The original one in my '81 lasted nearly 150k miles before it gave up the ghost. Even then, I think the reason it blew was more because I had some bonehead, knuckle-dragging local shop rebuild it. The one I currently have is a 3.07 out of an '80 that I've been running for about 5 years now. Putting around 300hp to it with no problems (yet) and I expect that to be closer to 400 once I get the new heads and FI installed.
BTW, I have a complete iron diff from a 75 I parted out a while back. How much is that worth?

If you install a steel cap like Mike does they're not too bad for a mild car. I still wouldn't use one. I may take this apart and rebuild it for Carlisle if I have the time and feel like making a steel cap.

They're only about 20 pounds lighter then an iron unit. The iron units are much better and can be made a lot stronger. You can't build a super 10 or 12 bolt out of the 80-82's.

Iron cores could be worth between $50 and $250 all depends on condition. If someone is looking for a particular dated one then finding it could cost up to $400 for a bare housing. Chasing numbers to me is throwing away cash but that's just my opinion.