-72 convertible "for trackdays" project

Ricky

-72 conv trackday project

Hi.
When i bought my 72 Vette i discovered that it was an exelent road car.

It was extremly fun and to drive at twisty country roads and behaved wery well.

Also on the trackdays arranged by the local club the car performed well.

However, things can always improve.

It started last summer (2010) when i broke my engine due to lack of oil control.

During braking and cornering the oil sloshed out of the oilpan and the lack of oilpressure killed a rod bearing.

f78ad63f.jpg

Last edited:
The old broken engine went on sale in pieces and the building of the new one started.

First i had to figure out what kind of engine i wanted.

My first conclusion was that i wanted a pure high reving drysump race engine but then i realised that it propably would kill all the fun of easily taking the car for a spin on twisty countryroads with my whife in the passengerseat and the posability of filling up the petrol tank at an ordinary petrol station and so on..

So think again..

Why not preserve the car and keep it as a drivable, decent looking standard vintage car and spend some time and money on the chassie instead?

Said and done.
The base for the new engine was chosen, a secon hand but in very good condition 4-bolt 454 GenV engine block and a forged crank was purchased and the job started.

Last edited:
The heads chosen was the largeport 088 ironheads.

Heads went trough restoration and was filled up with stainless severe duty valves.

z_PICT0045.jpg

Bottom end completed with Kieth Black pistons and hyd roller camshaft etc.

z_PICT0054.jpg

Due to the fact that i wanted to keep the stock hood i had to go for a wely low intake manifold.

I realise that this low LS6 replica manifold together with the relativ mild camshaft will hold down rpm and power, but thats the prize one have to pay for running without a scoop..

In the dyno it proved out that adding a 1/2" spacer helped a lot on the top end power.

LS6insug.jpg

In the dynoroom.

Due to the fact that the engine will be driven with silesers and airfilter we decided to dyno it with these mounted.

Offcourse we had to try without them aswell..

The relult was that we gained 6hp when the mufflers came off and another 3hp when the aircleaner came off.

Så the price for a clean and silensed engine was 9hp in total.. -I can live with that.

83b835b8.jpg

Last edited:
Reinforcements was welded to the frame and the front members for the swaybar was boxed in.

3418ec5b.jpg

Last edited:
To keep control over the temperature a new radiator with dual electric fans and an oilcooler was added.

3fb180d9.jpg

The front suspension is a transverse mono leaf spring.

I struggeled a lot with my self between the mono-leaf and a coilover kit..

fc493a2b.jpg

A Steeroids R&P was installed.

Solid engine mounts to stiffen up the frame a bit.

02c7c794.jpg

I thought the rubber bushings for the Steeroids kit felt a bit to flexy so i replaced the one on the drivers side with one milled out of aluminum instead.

fbbe1d4c.jpg

Beautiful work there man, looks GREAT!!!

lots of time, effort and MONEY......

:smash::thumbs:

Awesome :thumbs:

I've seen your work on the Swedish forum as well and already saved a few of your pictures so I can use them for reference when I install my steering rack.

I've seen your work on the Swedish forum as well and already saved a few of your pictures so I can use them for reference when I install my steering rack.

Ah so you have been there. :)

There was some modifications done to the Steeroids brackets before i was happy with it.
toocrazy.gif

We will see how it works in 2 months or so.
Lakrits.gif

Ah so you have been there. :)

There was some modifications done to the Steeroids brackets before i was happy with it.
toocrazy.gif

We will see how it works in 2 months or so.
Lakrits.gif

Do they shaft you in Sweden for crazy shipping fees, and heavy import taxes, for instance on the Steeroids kit??

:cussing::eek: