Brake Bleeder My Way

Red

Like many who frequent this message board, I need to do all work by myself. Sometimes it is a challenge, but the challenge can sometimes produce positive results. Bleeding brakes is probably at the top of the challenge list. Vacuum bleeder systems have always been disappointing, so I set out to try another way. After a google search, I found there were pressure bleeders out there, but they had less than stellar evaluations. In my garage I had enough scrap material to try and make my own model pressure brake bleeder. Before finishing the tool, I had spent a total of $15 . The u-joint swivel coupler with male air plug at the top and cork gasket material for the seal and four 3/8-16 wing nuts. I already had a 1/4-18 NPT tap for the swivel coupler to be threaded into the top 3/8ths steel lid. From a scrap 1 1/2 inch PVC tube I cut a shim to go into the 1" angle material.
The 3/8ths -16 threaded rod was recycled from an old project that outlived its usefulness. The photos speak for themselves.

BTW...this was the result of putting a line loc solenoid in the brake system. My compressor regulator was set at 20 psi and when opening the brake bleeder, fluid and unwanted air came out quickly. I opened and closed the bleeder a few times, allowing any trapped air a chance to work through the line. Once clear fluid ran out, I went to the next brake. Also, I use a clear tube that slips over the nipple, but after first putting a line wrench on it. The other end of my clear hose goes into a hole I drilled into the plastic lid of an instant coffee container. Make the hole a tight fit to the hose and it will stay on and not easily slide off. You can drill a second hole for a wire hangar to hold your brake fluid catch container. I always save wire coat hangars for the garage.

You will notice my swivel coupler is located over one reservoir. It is a rare occasion I need to bleed both front and rear brakes at one time. If you prefer to have pressure to both reservoirs, simply cut a notch connecting the two reservoirs under the cork gasket material. The pressure will quickly find its way into the second reservoir and pressurize both. If you just want to bleed the rear brake, simply turn the lid so the air inlet is over the rear reservoir only. Enough already...lets get to the photos:
PressureBrakeBleeder014.jpg
[/IMG]
PressureBrakeBleeder007.jpg
[/IMG]
PressureBrakeBleeder004.jpg
[/IMG]
PressureBrakeBleeder008.jpg
[/IMG]
PressureBrakeBleeder009.jpg
[/IMG]
Note: I welded tabs not seen under the angle material to keep it square with the flat bottom clamp surface. The bottom was just scrap 3/8 ths pieces of I-beam. After using this tool, I wish I had it years ago.

Yeh went nutz and didn't have to....

drill a 1/16 hole in the top of the m/cyl cover, above each section....

put on with full fluid, clamp down normally....with the rubber gasket/bladder in place....

take the air jet and blow through the holes a small amount at the time, with the caliper open, one at a time....takes two people...when the fluid is running clear/no air...dun...seal the top with RTV....

CASE CLOSED.....

NOW for some odd reason, with my Pirate Jack Racing aluminum m/cyl...I never had to go to such lengths....primed/bled/pumped per normal and no issued....I dunno why, just was..IS...

put on with full fluid, clamp down normally....with the rubber gasket/bladder in place....

take the air jet and blow through the holes a small amount at the time, with the caliper open, one at a time....takes two people...when the fluid is running clear/no air...dun...seal the top with RTV....

CASE CLOSED.....

NOW for some odd reason, with my Pirate Jack Racing aluminum m/cyl...I never had to go to such lengths....primed/bled/pumped per normal and no issued....I dunno why, just was..IS...

Sheesh...now I feel foolish!! :suicide:

CASE CLOSED.....

Sheesh...now I feel foolish!! :suicide:

Don't Mike, you solved the problem too, just that I don't care about a couple holes in the cover...

btw, there is a Corvette/Space/show/parade with astronauts in Coco Beach today....maybe you should go??

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/05/06/nasas-corvette-connection/#

Awesome job Mike :thumbs:

I am a huge fan of pressure bleeding, to me it's just like gravity bleeding but faster. Fluid is forced thru the system by positive pressure from the reservoir down - this whole vacuum bleeding is not for me...

back in 2004 I used a modified garden sprayer to pressurize the system - you probably have seen photos of this setup?? I posted a few....

Awesome job Mike :thumbs:

I am a huge fan of pressure bleeding, to me it's just like gravity bleeding but faster. Fluid is forced thru the system by positive pressure from the reservoir down - this whole vacuum bleeding is not for me...

back in 2004 I used a modified garden sprayer to pressurize the system - you probably have seen photos of this setup?? I posted a few....

Thanks Karsten, as I said in my post, I had unsatisfactory results with loaner vacuum bleeders. I did see your pressure bleeder post and considered converting my garden sprayer, but thought more pressure might be better. After looking at the scrap steel I had to work with, I had no excuse to not step the pressure up a couple notches. At constant 20 psi, there ain't nothing holding the fluid back. I was really very happy with the tool performance and no-longer dread bleeding brakes.

Don't want to steal your thunder but I have a way that works really well for those that don't have shop air. Now this is time consuming and tedious, but if you're flying solo you can get the job done without having to call in favors.
Pick up a piece of 3/4" PVC from your local Lowes Depot store thingy. Cut it to (if memory serves) 54". Fill the master cylinder reservoir and work in the correct order to bleed the brakes. Pump the pedal 5 or 6 times like you normally would, then take your home-made bleeder tool (PVC) and push the pedal down with one end. Bow the PVC and slip the other end over the door striker bolt. You now have a spring holding pressure on the pedal. Then move to the caliper and loosen the bleeder valve. The PVC spring will push the pedal to the floor and hold it. Once the fluid, or air, has finished escaping, tighten the valve, remove your tool and pump the brakes again. Repeat just as you would if you had a helper.
Takes about twice as long but the wifey will be much happier that you finished the job without her at 1am.

I've been thinking about making something up.

Walmart has a 1 quart pressurized sprayer for $5. I'm going to get another m/c cap and put a fitting on the top of one side at a spot where it won't interfere with the holddown, cut a hole at the appropriate place on the gasket to allow the fluid to enter.

I've been thinking about making something up.

Walmart has a 1 quart pressurized sprayer for $5. I'm going to get another m/c cap and put a fitting on the top of one side at a spot where it won't interfere with the holddown, cut a hole at the appropriate place on the gasket to allow the fluid to enter.

Keep us posted on your resulting tool and how it works and how many psi it holds without leaking? Photos on how you secure the air plug to the cap would be helpful? I have reservations on how much pressure the thin cap will hold. If it gives under pressure, you could have an unwanted spray of brake fluid on your paint, but maybe I'm overly cautious.

An inquiry I made on other websites uncovered some interesting options. One was using a vacuum system using a shop vac for vacuum, instead of the pump most come with. One home made unit used a large jar with a hole cut in it for a shop vac hose and the other side had a hose to the bleeder nipple. This was the simplest and least expensive method and pure science at work. How any of them work in practice is anybody's guess.

My over built pressure bleeder worked well with 20 psi. The only addition I am going to make is adding a brass plug next to the air plug for adding brake fluid. If for some reason I needed to use it in a remote area, away from electricity, there are plenty of options for compressed air. My research uncovered many options for solo brake bleeding and they keep coming.

Last edited:
I didn't use the air jet with the single small rubber tip opening, I used the type with the 2 holes in the side of the nozzle, and the air jet was held over the hole in the cover, I have no clue how much pressure was exerted on top of the rubber gaskets, I can say that it forced the fluid out pretty quick though....

:twitch::amazed:

I didn't use the air jet with the single small rubber tip opening, I used the type with the 2 holes in the side of the nozzle, and the air jet was held over the hole in the cover, I have no clue how much pressure was exerted on top of the rubber gaskets, I can say that it forced the fluid out pretty quick though....

:twitch::amazed:

Gene, I believe you missed my purpose of making a pressure brake bleeder. It was to enable me to bleed brakes by myself and with as little hassle as possible. Some have the luxury of a reliable helper, but I am not that fortunate and prefer to not waste time searching and waiting for one to arrive. Hence my pressure bleeder and the search for other options that support a one man job. My experience had me concerned with the result of getting brake fluid on good paint. My bleeder will hold more than enough, consistent and contained, pressure and without concern of fluid spray. Any technique that will not meet these criteria cannot be considered as an effective one man brake bleeding tool. Your technique may work well for you, but then you require a helper to accomplish the task and anything could happen in the process. See what I mean?

I'm going to have to bleed my brakes some time this year, I might add a gauge to my setup.
We only need a few pounds above atmosphere pressure to force the fluid thru the lines, 20psi that you mention is 5 above atmosphere or 20 absolute ?? Just wondering, both work fine... I think my garden sprayer pressure is about 20 psi but if you keep pumping the hose will eventually pop off or burst....

I'm going to have to bleed my brakes some time this year, I might add a gauge to my setup.
We only need a few pounds above atmosphere pressure to force the fluid thru the lines, 20psi that you mention is 5 above atmosphere or 20 absolute ?? Just wondering, both work fine... I think my garden sprayer pressure is about 20 psi but if you keep pumping the hose will eventually pop off or burst....

Yup...IMO, once you have the lid issue worked out with a reliable seal, you are more than half way there. Not a great deal of pressure is required if you have time. Some have success with gravity bleeding, but not a method that has worked for me. More pressure just persuades the fluid and trapped air to move a little faster. Brake fluid and air pressure can become messy, if the pressure is not well managed.

My purpose of posting was not to promote my tool, but to offer my way and open alternative methods and options for solo brake bleeding "Your Way." This is a job that has always been a problem for one man. Finding a helper to push the brake pedal and using vacuum bleeding tools that do not work, result in frustration. My tool worked, your tool worked, but in my research I have also found people who made vacuum tools also work, as a solo use tool. They have photos of how they made them work on various websites. This one is my favorites and a vacuum tool aided by a shop vac.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgpY_oGINU8&playnext=1&list=PLBD309027B0448A31[/ame]

This is a link to youtube vacuum bleeders in general
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vacuum+brake+bleeding+tool&aq=f

This is a pressure bleeder that might work if he used a locking air chuck on the tire air valve nipple. This would make it a one man job. He might also need a regulator, or only pump his compressor tank to a predetermined and safe psi. If the air chuck leaks, as they often do, it could be a problem. Applying this technique to the MC cap method described by Gene and others might work, if the cap seals and holds pressure. Note: in this technique, the hydraulic clutch MC has a screw on and captured lid. There are too many maybes and what if's for me to accept this as a viable application to a Vette MC. With some modification it has potential IMO.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bFu8GJD4Zc[/ame]
All alternatives to do a solo bleeding job are welcome here. Show photos of what you have and describe its build and how to use it. Everyone looking to make this job easier can benefit. I especially like the vacuum system using a shop vac for it simplicity, ease to make and low cost. One guy told me he bought a Harbor Freight vacuum bleeder tool for $30 and applied his shop vac instead of the tool's pump and with great success. Had I seen his method before making my tool, I probably would have gone this route and saved myself much time.

Post photos of what you have and how it works.

Last edited:
Well, I have to say that this thread has sadly reminded me of all the battles ROYAL I had with this '72 shark on that air/brake line issue....:crutches:

and eventually finding out the best most important thing to change was the damn booster, for a Hydroboost setup, THAT cured my car of the soft pedal syndrome, still convinced you have to redo all the hydraulics first though...O ring pistons, SS calipers, no piston springs, new m/cyl.....

before the net and being able to talk to guys over issues, it WAS a serious fucking WAR going on between me and them brakes.....

:crap: never did quite get pissed enough to toss a wrench through the fender though....paint job WAS too pretty....

:hi: