Welding Equipment for Tacking Parts

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
First off, I can't weld worth a shit. But I would like to be able to tack parts in place to have them welded by a pro later. A guy I know has a Hobart 110V MIG that he said would work for this. This is for steel parts, 1/8 inch max thikness.

Model number would provide more information. I would want something a little bigger though. That way you can turn it up hotter and burn the tack weld in a little better. Plus you never know, you may get better at welding!

I bought a Lincoln Weldpak 3200 at Home Depot, excellent welder IMO. I get my gas (Argon/CO2 mix) at Tractor Supply.

If you "only" need it for tack welding then a cheap FluxCore unit is all you need - very convinient because it does not need gas. You can get these welders for under $100.

Flux welds are not very clean and there's a lot of splatter but for tack welding it's good enough.

two or three car batteries in series will be good enough for stick welding... :bounce::eek::bump:

"it's not just good.... it's good enough"

First off, I can't weld worth a shit. But I would like to be able to tack parts in place to have them welded by a pro later. A guy I know has a Hobart 110V MIG that he said would work for this. This is for steel parts, 1/8 inch max thikness.

You don't even need something that big. A 90 amp welder will do 3/16. Buy a flux wire welder it will be even cheaper.

Too bad you're not in CA, I'd do it. I've been welding on my friends cars all weekend.

got 3 car batteries laying around? Connect them in series and go to town.

Ya that's a good idea. Unless you like the way your face is configured. :huh:

Shorting them won't make them explode. It's the hydrogen gas they give off under charging or load. Point a fan at them. This is a very common practice the 4x4 people use for field repairs.

Shorting them won't make them explode. It's the hydrogen gas they give off under charging or load. Point a fan at them. This is a very common practice the 4x4 people use for field repairs.

What's that fan in your Jeep for Fred? Welding, he replied. :lol:

What's that fan in your Jeep for Fred? Welding, he replied. :lol:

LOL!!! Good point.