Road Racing updrades + parts review

vette427sbc

Over my spring break, I decided to spend a few (turned into much more than a few :lol:) bucks on some upgrades for my vette to make sure it is ready to go road racing this Saturday.
I found an ebay road race pan for $80. The deal was too good to pass up, so I went for it. 8 quarts, 7" deep, 6 trap doors and a scraper. Seems like a pretty decent piece. It looks like its mig'd together, and the sides got a little warped. The bolt holes didnt line up perfectly, but a little persuasion, and they fit ok. Fit the stock starter fine, and even clears my rack and pinion. Cant use the stock dipstick though- it hits the baffles in the sump. So Ill have to fab up one that will fit into one of the return fittings on the kickout.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Next was a Lakewood scattershield... I bought a nice used one off ebay. They definitely live up to to their reputation of being way off the crank centerline. This one was .015" off to the left and bottom (out of round?). I bought some offset dowel pins and was able to dial it down to .006" out. Not great, but thats the best it was going to get.

I also got a set of Moroso solid motor mounts. They were a bit of a pain to line up, but they really make the whole car feel much more solid. No vibrations at all :cool: (still running a rubber trans mount)

Also got some ATE super blue brake fluid. Hopefully in conjunction with my brake ducts, I wont have any brake issues.

On to the pics...
DSCF1212.jpg

DSCF1210.jpg

DSCF1213.jpg

DSCF1215.jpg

Ground clearance with the new pan and scattershield:
DSCF1214.jpg

DSCF1216.jpg

Will report back on the oil control of the pan after my track day
Finally moving from the bench racer title!

On that rack, did you roll your own, or do a kit??

if you rolled our own, how many universals you got on the input shaft setup??

:twitch:

OK, I'm going to make a statement that is sure to be controversial. If your going to road race this car, I would cut the bottom flange off that scattershield. That is, if you're just doing this for fun. If it's for competition, of course, you have to stick to the rules.
At the very least, I would put a good strong skid plate on flange. I would hate to see the kind of trauma a good smack would do if you were to catch that flange on the edge of either a concrete or asphalt surface.

Good luck at the track!

Thanks!
On that rack, did you roll your own, or do a kit??

if you rolled our own, how many universals you got on the input shaft setup??

:twitch:

Gene- Its 2 universals with the shortened column shaft. I posted the thread about it here and over on DC a few years ago.

OK, I'm going to make a statement that is sure to be controversial. If your going to road race this car, I would cut the bottom flange off that scattershield. That is, if you're just doing this for fun. If it's for competition, of course, you have to stick to the rules.
At the very least, I would put a good strong skid plate on flange. I would hate to see the kind of trauma a good smack would do if you were to catch that flange on the edge of either a concrete or asphalt surface.

No competition, just racing for fun. I was told by a bunch of other people that I should cut it off too. Ill get on it asap, along with a dust shield since I dont have the block plate to go with it :gurney:

Interesting project. :)

Do you have any pictures of the coling ducts for the brakes?

Did you fabricated these yourself or bought as a kit somwhere?

//Ricky

You obviously spent a good amount of time making your engine shine.
Why did you not do the same with your transmission?