Vehicle scales on the cheap.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Well, I've wanted a set of scales to do some corner weight measurements for quite a while, but I'm too cheap or broke to buy a real set. Yesterday I noticed the two bathroom scales I bought a while back to weigh the frame when I was working on it, and kicked around some ideas to use them. I looked at my materials pile and saw enough stuff to build something to try to do some corner weighting on the cheap. Here's one of two that I cut and tackwelded in a couple hours of time between projects.

IM001605.jpg

It's a 1:4 ratio lever, so it should work okay with my scales. The lever puts about an 8 pound offset on the scale, and seems to be accurate with the quick test I did. I stood on the wheel centerline spot and it added (mumble mumble) pounds to the reading.
I need to build a couple more and pick up two more scales from Walmart so I can see what my present corner (and L/R) weights are. I'm hoping I can get a touch better cornering capability with the suspension weights balanced.

I did the same thing. I bought 4 mechanical scales for less than $10 each. I'll bet you won't be able to buy mechanical scales in a year or two.

Did a quick test of the setup. So far it looks like it works. Now I need to pick up a couple more scales and weld up two more pieces.

IM001614.jpg

I'm interested in what my corner weights are currently.

Makes me laugh, what makes you think that's gonna work! Oops, I did the same thing! Just calibrate all four scales and your golden.

Absolutely no reason why that won't work just fine for rough estimates. I think you'll be doing good if you can get a reading within 20# of the accurate weight, but unless you're setting that car up for some kind of mega $$$ competition, 20# is pretty damn good.

Absolutely no reason why that won't work just fine for rough estimates. I think you'll be doing good if you can get a reading within 20# of the accurate weight, but unless you're setting that car up for some kind of mega $$$ competition, 20# is pretty damn good.

I agree. Right now I have no clue what my corner weights are. Between the rear spring bolt adjustments and the front coilover adjustments (all done by eyeball so far) these scales ought to get me a bunch closer than I am right now.

I"m looking that this concept for weighing the motor home, Jed's Clamper project...to make damn sure things are kosher...tires, etc....

should be, was very careful about material weights....but shit adds up...

need look around for a cheep mechanical scale....got the steel bars....