Clicking/popping noise right rear wheel => u-joints?

KAOS

I have developed a PITA clicking/popping noise in the rear passenger area. It only occurs when I change direction (foward, reverse) and clicks like 1 or 2 times. I can feel the click through the drive train to the stick shift. I have looked at everything under the car and all appears to be in perfect order and I can't duplicate the problem rolling the car back & forth while under there...only when in drive/reverse gear switching directions. So my thoughts are either its my parking brake shoes or a bad u-joint that does not like the change in direction with force? I have absolutely no vibrations nor do I ever hear this clicking sound when I am traveling down the road even when I floor the gas pedal. I can sometimes hear it if I leave it in first gear and blip the gas pedal getting the car to jerk and then sometimes I can hear a quick click or two. So what gives??? u-joints? I checked the bearings with wheel off the ground and its rock solid not budging at all. I have a custom rear 6 link suspension with upper/lower control rods & slip half shafts. My thoughts are that some how 1 u joint cap has its bearing needles spun and the change in direction is causing the click noise?

I'd also check TA/strut rod bushings...and the rear end mounting cushion...

thanks....car is going into shop on Thursday. The vette mechanic guy heard it and said it most likely is u-joint binding. I will report back after Thursday.

IF you have VBP wheel adaptors on there, you maybe want to try snugging them down pretty good to the hubs/rotors....I had some clicking on my car similar to that some years ago....pass front, popped all wheels and found them a bit looser than others....air press must have been lo or something when it was put on....

:shocking::search:

well..the mehanic is stumped big time. He replaced the u-joints and problem is still there. So he then checked the parking brake hardware and all is good there. So next item on the list is to pull/re-shim the spindle to see if this eliminates the pinging/clicking noise. He said that it was definitely coming from the spindle/hub area but just can't put his finger on it eactly what is causing the sounds.