MAP sensor location

Grampy

Space on the inlet manifold is getting tight. Is there any real world downside in mounting the MAP sensor remotely ( firewall or inner fender ) compared to on the intake manifold. I know the signal is faster thru the wire than thru the vacuum line but is does few feet of tube translate to hesitation or a stumble?

The old vacuum gage response was as near real time as you could tell.

Anyone have experience with this?

thanks,

Grampy

Don't know from real time experience, but I think the further away it is from the 'source' the more delay in response you will have. If this is a real problem ? Don't know.

However if the vacuum gage doesn't show any slow response, i would not worry about it.

OK, I personally dunno about the delay on the MAP sensor, as it's easy enough to mount on the firewall about maybe 12" of line away....with NO issues...

now my experience was when going from a L98 TPI setup to a highly modified LT1 induction, was what to do with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator, so I cobbled up a test setup to possible avoid the return line from engine to tank....

and use it as a vacuum line to the regulator in the rear, instead....

talk about a miserable failure that's it....seemed great in the garage, but the driving dynamics sucked.....

too much vacuum delay in the long line to the rear.....somehow I can't imagine that being any better with the MAP sensor....

:eek::thumbs:

As long as you don't develop a leak, it should be fine. If there's any vacuum at all in the line, response should be about as fast as directly mounted. I'd try and keep the line as short as possible, or maybe increase the size of it a step.

As long as you don't develop a leak, it should be fine. If there's any vacuum at all in the line, response should be about as fast as directly mounted. I'd try and keep the line as short as possible, or maybe increase the size of it a step.

Tim, that's what I thought also....I talked to someone on that, and he said with a level of expertise that it was the inertia of the air in the line....which made sense, but I suspect line diameter/mass of air would be a enemy ....at any rate not worth plumbing a new line in my case...

:eek::surrender:

Space on the inlet manifold is getting tight. Is there any real world downside in mounting the MAP sensor remotely ( firewall or inner fender ) compared to on the intake manifold. I know the signal is faster thru the wire than thru the vacuum line but is does few feet of tube translate to hesitation or a stumble?

The old vacuum gage response was as near real time as you could tell.

Anyone have experience with this?

thanks,

Grampy

On an 81, the MAP sensor IS mounted on the firewall.:drink:

Thanks, If I can't shoehorn the sensor in under the doghouse it's going on the firewall.

Grampy