whileI'mAtIt's

kwplot34

Heart Attack
I have been cleaning the frame and under carriage of all the under coating so i could clean it up and paint it. Well i decided to take it a step further :huh: decided to remove the rear suspension,diff and rebuild all of it while i'm at i't.
384d683d5c0a78e.jpg

384d683d5d27c6d.jpg

Your work brings back some memories that I'm happy to have behind me. If your undercoating is a tar based, lacquer thinner cuts it purdy fast. I painted my frame with POR 15 gloss black and fiberglass with PPG epoxy primer with good results. Hang in there and keep at it.....way to go!!

Your work brings back some memories that I'm happy to have behind me. If your undercoating is a tar based, lacquer thinner cuts it purdy fast. I painted my frame with POR 15 gloss black and fiberglass with PPG epoxy primer with good results. Hang in there and keep at it.....way to go!!

Oh yes it's such fun :huh: when i had the motor out 2 years ago i did the front half from the cross member forward and rebuilt the ft end,POR15 on the frame and powder coated all the suspension parts,now i am doing from the cross member back. Once this is done the whole under side of the car will be done :bounce: i have been using a needle scaler to remove the under coat,it works pretty darn good,till you get to the parts that have been saturated with oil,and gas for the last 32 years,then i use some stuff from Eastwood's on it. It's a slow process,but i'm getting there.

Looks good.

I'll bet your glad to have the undercar cleanup over with. I hate doing that, all that crap falling down on you!

Looks good.

I'll bet your glad to have the undercar cleanup over with. I hate doing that, all that crap falling down on you!

It's not quite done yet,but yes, i will be glad when it's done. What a nasty,dirty mess. The good part is,that all that under coat kept everything from rusting.

Dayam! Your going to build the whole rear end just so you could get at the frame for cleaning/painting.

That is one helva while I'm at it:nuts:

Did you wipe the frame down with something after you scraped that crap off? It looks real fresh in the pic:1st:

I just took a look at mine....I did the trailing arms and diff....makes the frame look like sheet:eek:h:

Dayam! Your going to build the whole rear end just so you could get at the frame for cleaning/painting.

That is one helva while I'm at it:nuts:

Did you wipe the frame down with something after you scraped that crap off? It looks real fresh in the pic:1st:

I just took a look at mine....I did the trailing arms and diff....makes the frame look like sheet:eek:h:

Well the rear end is in the way so might as well pull all of it and rebuild it while im at it, i know sounds crazy,but what the heck.
After i used the needle scaler to remove all the under coat and crap,i use my air grinder with those round disk scotch brite pads to finish cleaning it. Thats why it looks so shiny in the pics.

Well the rear end is in the way so might as well pull all of it and rebuild it while im at it, i know sounds crazy,but what the heck.
After i used the needle scaler to remove all the under coat and crap,i use my air grinder with those round disk scotch brite pads to finish cleaning it. Thats why it looks so shiny in the pics.

Doing this does not seem crazy to me. It makes keeping the underside clean much easier and looking fresh. Gloss cleans easier than flat and silver contrasts well with black IMO. You will be pleased with the result compared with most crusty looking C-3 undersides. If it were easy everyone would be doing it.

Doing this does not seem crazy to me. It makes keeping the underside clean much easier and looking fresh. Gloss cleans easier than flat and silver contrasts well with black IMO. You will be pleased with the result compared with most crusty looking C-3 undersides. If it were easy everyone would be doing it.

It's not easy,that is for sure. I have been slaving away on the frame,i am getting close to giving it and good wipe down with some paint thinner,and then start painting. Then it's on to all those parts i pulled out.. i will be using a gloss black,gray,and silver paint on the suspension parts,should look good when done. I will get some progress pic's up soon.

Sorry Karsten and TT no GOLD paint on any of the parts.