Plattsburg Greyhound little sociopath

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
Guys, I got to vent this off.
*disclaimer, I don't master "making long story short in english" well yet.

Background:
I bought a used '80 bumper cover from a guy in NM (from CF for sale post).
We found out that greyhound shipping what the cheapest way to ship it, given I would go pick it up in Plattsburgh greyhound location. It's 60 miles from Montreal, no big deal.
January the 28th the guys emails me, the package it send and he's been told it should be at Plattsburgh the 31st at 3:05 PM and I should get a phone call. Wow quick and precise I though.

It start to get more interresting
Well, now the wait.
Feb 1st afternoon, I call greyhound general office, I'm transferred to Plattsburgh's office.
I'm told it's not there and I should expect it between now and the 9th. Wow... well...
I though it had to do with the snowstorm and decided to be patient.
I call them back the 9th. Some girl tell me it's not there yet and I'll be called. Funny, I didn't even gave her my tracking number. She tells me she recognized my phone number. Hum....
The 13th I call once again, and I told it's there, and they tried to phone me the day before but couldn't reach me. ok... at least it's there.
I have 72h to get it before they start charging. It's too late, it's Sunday, I'll get the day after (today) off and go pick it up.

Here we go, the crusty bits
Today, 1pm, I park in front of the greyhound office, which is nothing more than a small desk in the hall of a economic highway inn.
At the desk, a young women ask for my name, and tells me straight away that it's not there.
huh???
Well, I tell her someone from this very 'office' just told me the day before it was here.
I barely finish my phrase, she asks me the name of the someone.
Like if I take time to memorize the name of every clerk I speak to.
Anyway, for a French guy like me everytime it sound like " #@?!% speaking, how can I help you? "
"Without name I can't do anything" she says.
My mood is swing between depressing and incredulity.
I start again, stating it must be here since...
Again she reply blah blah, no name no decision, cant be here, blah blah.
I hate when people don't even make the effort to looks like they're actually listening to you. And that smile... well, some sort of grind.
She then show me a whiteboard, four or five row with name on it.
She ask if it's my name for every name of the board. Ah come on, you know my name, you asked me I say to myself.
You could she was feeling like a freaking genius.
I'm not used to be taken for a idiot, so I didn't really realize/react, I'm just thinking of having to take another day off... those sort of thing.
She write down my name and address so they could call me when it's there. Yeah sure, like I'm gonna do the travel once again...
Still in disbelieve of the situation, I'm on my sad way out when she says there is a package with no name on it.
Wait, what??? you're telling this only now???
She go check and brings a huge box she drops on the floor like a bag of potato. I hear the fiberglass complaining. I tell her to be more carefully, no answer.
She tell me the box have been here for two week and I got to pay 20$ for the delay.
I'm relieved I didn't make the trip for nothing, still, how would I pay 20$ because they didn't tell me it was there.
She replay that there is no name on the box, I hope she could stop smiling, I now feel she's having fun out of my demise.
Ok, let's get the fuck out of here, I pay the 20$, and leave.
I get out of this inn hall, go to my car (3m away for the door), open my trunch and put the box in the car.
Then, what do I see... my address, written on the box, with my phone number. It's small, but it's there. I rush back into the hall (I've been out less than a minute), and show it to her.
Still smiling, the looks me straight in the eyes and say: "sir, it was not there, you just wrote it now".
WHAT????????
Without blinking an eye, without an hesitation she tell me I'm a liar, pure and simple.
I was speachless, I facepalmed (literally).
I got some sort of angry, but hey, what do you want to do?
She was still smiling, I understood I was speaking to some deeply fucked up human like creature. To come up so quickly with such a wicked idea, you have to be just as wicked.
Got back in my car, got the fuck out of the State and try to forget this bottom low in faith in humanity.
Won't be using greyhound shipping again anytime soon.
Crappy is something, vicious is an other.

Den, the entire world is descending into a cluster fuck.....

it's well beyond the sublime, already....

:clobbered::huh::nuts:

wow did you at least get the bumper home undamaged ??

customer disservice: We're not satisfied until you're not satisfied !!

wow did you at least get the bumper home undamaged ??

customer disservice: We're not satisfied until you're not satisfied !!
It was damaged before shipping, few cracks.
I got it for 75$, I didn't expect brand new stuff.
Hopefully the drop didn't worsen its condition.
It's still fixable.

You nailed it JPhil.
This would never happens in Quebec.
No offense guys, but this makes me happy to be this side of the border.
We keep the mooses, you keep the psychos :banned:

welcome to Amerika...the Greyhound station I ship from is a closet in a diner under the train station, I go there as rarely as possible.

You nailed it JPhil.

Since you opened the door, I'll jump in.:trumpet:

Your story was quite descriptive and also predictable.
Don't take this personally.....but you just experienced the butt end of her disdain of French Canadiens, nothing more sinister than that, and it will happen again and again and again. ;)

Your best clue was the constant smile.

You nailed it JPhil.

Since you opened the door, I'll jump in.:trumpet:

Your story was quite descriptive and also predictable.
Don't take this personally.....but you just experienced the butt end of her disdain of French Canadiens, nothing more sinister than that, and it will happen again and again and again. ;)

Your best clue was the constant smile.

:harhar:You know, you right, I remember hearing about that sort of feelings/reactions, years ago.......my cousin lives in Elmyra NY, and a ex inlaw in Erie Pa.....cousin not heard from in 25 years, ex inlaw is a snotty overbearing SOB Psychologist who had some 'professional troubles' some time ago....not heard the latest......so if you meet up with Dr. Douglas Buyer, feel free to sock him in the nose from his ex BIL.....

:harhar::harhar::trumpet::clobbered::nuts:

I can deal with disdain. I'm an immigrant, and I'm prepared to deal with people who think I'd better go home. Some quebecers act like this with frenchies.
The fear of what's different is hardwired in our brain.

But this time it was pure passive-aggressive hate, the kind of behavior that screws relationship between people.

I have some sort of soul-brother in Boston, I've been visiting him at least once a year for 10 years. It took us time to tune up our relationship, he would constantly search for hidden meaning when I'm happy and would get hurt when I'm not. No bro, when I'm happy or when I'm not,I just show it, no double dialogue. Same thing for me, I had to tone down a little bit and pay more attention to the subtleties of AmeriKan way of communicating.

Look at it this way....I've been accused more than once of being a "Pollyanna" (American literature reference for someone who always sees the good, and never the bad in any situation). Funny to me, because I am basically a melancholy, depressed, pessimistic personality. But I refuse to let that fuck with my outlook & thus my life.

I've done a little bit of traveling both here & abroad, and met (and hosted) people here from other countries. I am not one to go to resorts & such, I prefer to meet "real" people in their reality.
Most all of the 'foreigners' I've dealt with say most all Americans are very eager to be friendly, to go out of their way to help. I have found the same to be true here & elsewhere.

My conclusion is, 60% of humans are friendly & helpful to strangers (as long as they are treated with respect), 40% are neutral but not unfriendly, 10% are just assholes. And usually most of them you just caught on a bad day. The kids are sick, the car broke down, the other guy called in sick again so they have to work late, etc. I've been there.
But just a smile from the check-out girl, a thank you from an old man when you pick up his glove he dropped, a look of appreciation from holding the door for a harried housewife with a cholicky baby in her arms--that can cure the temporary "fuck em all blues."

The others, that remaining 3%,well, their lives suck for whatever reasons and they are determined to make sure yours does too. They are the ones who will make sure any good thing goes bad because they perversly enjoy feeling sorry and shitty about themselves & their life and can't stand the idea that anyone else would be happy since they are not. You know, the ones who win a $50 dollar lottery ticket and bitch because it wasn't $50,000. They will use any bit of power they have over you to ensure that your life is as shitty as theirs.

You got three choices about how to deal with them.
You can absorb, amplify & return their hostility--which only fills you with hostility that not only poisons you, but which you will then spread to others.
You can deflect their hostility, remain neutral, do your business as best as possible and then leave them unsatisfied (because they couldn't piss you off), and shrug it off. It's their problem, not yours. Depending on the importance of your business you may have to just suck it up and take their shit or you may be able to tell them to shove it and go elsewhere. But stay neutral.
The third and hardest way is to attempt to be friendly, happy, open-minded, and reflect back an altered wavelength of understanding, willingness to resolve the issue in a good way which will leave both of you in a better frame of mind. Obviously, this method doesn't always work. But it's surprising, when you learn how to work it, how often it does. And that one leaves both of you feeling better--which then also spreads, radiates to others you both relate with for the rest of the day.
I know, it sounds like a boatload of psychobabble platitudes, but it does work that way.....

Of course, sometimes you just gotta get pissed as hell, tell someone to fuck off and die, and then put your fist through a sheetrock wall.
There's a time for that too.
Just try not to hit a stud or a nail. That really sucks......

664d5c34b918e77.jpg

Last edited:
Of course, sometimes you just gotta get pissed as hell, tell someone to fuck off and die, and then put your fist through a sheetrock wall.
There's a time for that too.
Just try not to hit a stud or a nail. That really sucks......

I never forget some guy at the dorm in skool, where is learned te type fyme englush....anyway, he was really big on putting his fists through the sheetrock, and so one time he miscalculated, and in middle of maybe 150 guys he went off to the hospital as a stud got back at him.....true story.....fucked up his hand like no tmrw.....walked around in a sling for months afterward....stopped THAT little show off habit in a hurry....

:smash::smash::surrender::hissyfit::censored::club::crylol::suicide::thumbs:

And I"m setting here laughing my ASS off thinking of it....some 45 years later....some shit you jest kant fergit....

:)

Last edited:
Look at it this way....
Good synopsis

JPhil, looks like we see world through the same brand of glasses. :drink:
By the way this article gives some hints at why and how some people are just fucked up in their mind :
http://www.damninteresting.com/the-unburdened-mind

Denpo,
As I said earlier, I really don't think it's that involved. Let me pass on some south Florida observations.

Back in the 70's and early 80's there was a fairly common bumper sticker floating around here, it said:

"Happiness in Florida is a New Yorker going home with a Canadian under each arm"

Now someone made and marketed that sticker while others bought and displayed it. A lot of phycho's down here, well maybe, but it was just a concesus of opinion, strong enough to be displayed.

Last I heard, there are approx 700,000 French Canadians that visit this state during the winter months, and many being in this area.
Whenever I hear the topic being brought up, there is always a negative attitude towards them.
Just last week I listened to a guy complain about them trying to screw him on a painting contract. A lot of contractors refuse to work for them.
My wife was a district manager for a large restaurant chain and the attitude of almost all the employees was to get them in and out with in the least amount of time with the least amount of effort. Too much crap and no money.
Word on the street has it that people are having a hard time getting paid from your Celine Dion, on her Jupiter Island house, despite the fact she thought it necessary to have her anchor babies here.
I could relate literally hundreds of similar stories, but the bottom line is that it is a earned reputation. Just too many references.
Apparantly, your girl is the bus line rep for Montreal area and her experiences are probably similar, but we don't know to what degree, hence her reaction, whether right or wrong.

I try to interact with people on an individual basis, groups are always diverse, but on the other hand I won't do work for them either. Why, I didn't put my hand on the frying pan to really see if it was hot, I find no need for BS, I have enough to deal with.:banghead:

If you ever find yourself in Florida, make life easy, tell them you're from French Guiana or something. :bounce:

After reading denpo's story I felt my emotion rising. Maybe, my tolerance for indifference and stupidity among the human population has been saturated.

jphil articulated an accurate assessment of the situation and put a proper perspective to it. When encountering a difficult person, I have found it better to just smile and nod yes. It is better than acting out, you only end up in trouble and no time to work on the vette.

Sorry to hear about your difficulty, and glad the bumper was finally received.

If you ever find yourself in Florida, make life easy, tell them you're from French Guiana or something. :bounce:

Roger on the NY/QC hate, didn't know it was that bad.
When in Florida I guess I'll just tell the truth, that I'm from France, wherever I went in the US, it always worked well, even in Las Vegas!
Thanks for your consideration guys, I appreciate :friends:

You don't want to punch a typical wall in France! 16" of plastered limestone doesn't have the same, shall we say, "satisfaction" to your fist as 1/2" of sheetrock over a hollow stud cavity ;).....But I love France, I'd live there if I could and perhaps one day I will, although I understand too why many folks there would rather live here.

You don't want to punch a typical wall in France! 16" of plastered limestone doesn't have the same, shall we say, "satisfaction" to your fist as 1/2" of sheetrock over a hollow stud cavity ;).....But I love France, I'd live there if I could and perhaps one day I will, although I understand too why many folks there would rather live here.

Den, J, what do you all think of the islamic situation in France??

is it as bad as what I hear of?? or worse??

:flash: