Ford axle - wheel bearings

MYBAD79

I've had this strange humming noise coming from the rear... over time it turned into a roaring noise and got louder and louder.... time to tear the axle apart and inspect :huh:

Here's what I found on the passenger side: the axle seal was leaking and apparently it leaked for a while because the fluid level in the diffy was low....

The axle shaft is worn down .025". The diameter at the undamaged location is 1.400", where it's worn it's 1.375. The bearing was not in very good shape either. :D

Here's a photo of the axle shaft and the old bearing:

214d5345ccdd598.jpg

I really did not feel like buying a new axle shaft - fortunately the guy at the local "zone" knows his stuff and sold me a bearing "repair" kit....

214d5345cebd9ae.jpg

Absolutely brilliant: it relocates the bearing outward to the undamaged surface and also includes the seal.... $28 .... per side..... made by Timken :thumbs:

I installed this on both sides. No more leak, no more noise.... good for another 1000000 miles :D :D

214d5345cdf3634.jpg

that looks just like something i'd do to save money. How many miles did the axle have?

This axle came out of a '95 GT, one of the previous owners swapped the axles on my '93 LX Mustang.... this axle was rebuilt with 3.73 gears and a Ford racing diffy cover :D

Summit sells two Moser axles incl bearings and seals for $250. I wanted it back on the road today so I went the "repair kit" route.... I was going to replace the axle shaft but even Auto Zone had to order it, would have taken longer than Summit....

The gears look pretty good as far as I can tell.... they're taking the abuse from the 105HP 2.3L 4 banger very well :D

214d53696a26edc.jpg
214d53696a973e6.jpg

Common item fix for Chrysler and GM rears...I never did a Ford.....same company...Timken....

how can you stand to drive any RWD without POSI????

:hissyfit::censored:;)

how can you stand to drive any RWD without POSI????

:hissyfit::censored:;)

POSI ? That's the clutch inside the differntial, right ? There are differentials without clutch how does this work ?

MY screw up, that is posi....sorry, gotta look closer next time....:zzz::banned:

3 types I have seen, the clutches famous in our older vettes, same setup in most A & F body cars....B body also.....Chrysler seems to favor the cone setup, two large iron pieces but same operating principal,

then there was that locker I helped a buddy install in his GIGANTIC chevy pickup....ex road crew truck, long bed extended cab size of a bus.....

14" rear as I recall, so he gets this locker setup...sort of ratchets/clicks going around turns....only one I ever messed with on them.....

:clobbered::nuts: