undercoat removal

kwplot34

Heart Attack
I have been back to work under the vette trying to remove the rubber under coat,what a mess. A heat gun and putty knife works well,but is a slow process, chemicals from Eastwood and kerosene work pretty good,but what a huge nasty tar mess that makes :huh: so i went and purchased a needle scaler today,and that sucker makes quick work of it and cleans up the frame real nice.
this is what i purchased http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/IS/Product.aspx-am_en-392 i found it a local tool place,kind of pricey,but it is so much faster.

Looks like a nice tool to have :D

Undercoating is some nasty stuff.... I scraped a few pounds of that stuff from under my '79 as well....

Looks like a nice tool to have :D

Undercoating is some nasty stuff.... I scraped a few pounds of that stuff from under my '79 as well....

I agree,it is some nasty crap,can't wait to get it all off and the frame painted.

How long has it been on.

Does it look like its done any good?

it has been on the car since 1978. When the original owner purchased the car (im the 2nd owner) he had it under coated. The frame is in great shape,so that rubber crap did its job well.

I love my needle scaler. Works great to knock off years of gunk and grime from a frame to.

I've no experience with this issue, living in the desert.

But, I've read to put dry ice in the floorpans and later whack it with a hammer and all the undercoating showers down.

Does that fit your need?

I've no experience with this issue, living in the desert.

But, I've read to put dry ice in the floorpans and later whack it with a hammer and all the undercoating showers down.

Does that fit your need?
I could see that working on steel, but wouldn't that be likely to damage fiberglass floorpans?

I stripped mine with a putty knife and washed the remaining undercoat with lacquer thinner on a rag. Lacquer thinner cut it real well. The fiberglass was then wiped down with a grease remover and painted with no problem.