Urethane or RTV silicone for windscreen fit?

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I was in town this morning looking for a spark plug for a mate's motor bike. I didn't end up finding it but I'd parked outside a replacement windscreen shop even though I won't be fitting my screen any time soon, I thought I'd pop in and ask how much a tube of Urethane was worth. Turns out it's pretty cheap as they just use black RTV Silicone...;)

That's what I used on the camper/motor home project for the flat glass on front and rear in the aluminum frames...it's in there pretty good....:nuts:

I'm guilty too. I use the black RTV on a lot of my projects. I buy it at the home stores in the caulk gun cartridges. The little aluminum squeeze tubes are way overpriced.

Here's good info on why the adhesive needs to be stronger than Painter's caulking (last video) :

http://vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5805&highlight=windshield

i guess i don't rate access to that area.

I suspect they are going to say it acts as a structural memeber. I think that is a bit overstated. RTV will actually provide some strength too, and it ain't going anywhere cause that stuff sticks.

I don't know. Do you really want or need a piece of glass to stiffen the cage?

I suspect they are going to say it acts as a structural memeber. I think that is a bit overstated. RTV will actually provide some strength too, and it ain't going anywhere cause that stuff sticks.

It's in the tech section... you can't open it ??

Yes, they're saying that the windshield is structural, probably not as critical on these old cars but newer cars might need that so that the roof becomes a impact absorbing structure... the video shows how the roof buckles....

Yes, they're saying that the windshield is structural, probably not as critical on these old cars but newer cars might need that so that the roof becomes a impact absorbing structure... the video shows how the roof buckles....

The windshield is very important on newer car. It adds strength and it is needed for passenger side airbag to work properly on many cars.

I don't think I would mess with RTV to glue a windshield in my Vette. Urethane or Butal tape.

Somehow methinks that relying on a chunk of 1/4" total thick GLASS for any support or any safety factor in a collision ....is piss poor engineering, really cutting hairs there...

Someone have to show me a seriously conducted research paper to prove that point.....:trumpet::trumpet::harhar:

Somehow methinks that relying on a chunk of 1/4" total thick GLASS for any support or any safety factor in a collision ....is piss poor engineering, really cutting hairs there...

Someone have to show me a seriously conducted research paper to prove that point.....:trumpet::trumpet::harhar:
Remember the glass is laminated not just a sheet of glass.

Remember the glass is laminated not just a sheet of glass.

Yeh, I know, but, really .....support anything?? good for stones, rocks, road shit, but structural?? not in cars by accident but I broken enough of it to know there is not much to it...really

not some crash test but a spec sheet on how much support that lam glass can support....not a question of stick to it ivness ...hangs together....

:clobbered:

not really.... you want to transfer impact energy into the roof, to do that you need the windshield and you don't want it to separate from the frame....

The more impact the body absorbs the less the passenger's body has to absorb.

There are videos on youtube that compare impacts on f.e. a 1962 Buick that weighs 7000lbs and a 2005+ asian made compact car... the compact car absorbs impact energy while the old tank does not, while you were crushed in that old tank you'd walk away from an accident almost unharmed in the import compact....

not really.... you want to transfer impact energy into the roof, to do that you need the windshield and you don't want it to separate from the frame....

The more impact the body absorbs the less the passenger's body has to absorb.

There are videos on youtube that compare impacts on f.e. a 1962 Buick that weighs 7000lbs and a 2005+ asian made compact car... the compact car absorbs impact energy while the old tank does not, while you were crushed in that old tank you'd walk away from an accident almost unharmed in the import compact....

Come on man, the collapsible steering and air bags I can see as a help....

but there is no way some tin frame on a 2500 lbs car is going to best out a mass of 5000 lbs.....NFW......but your example of the '62 Buick was unfair as no collapsible column and airbags.....

stick those two in there, and I'll take that Buick any day....

and with gas at 5 bux/gallon soon enough....well, maybe not.....sez GENE wanting to hit the road in a vehicle weight of 8000 lbs gross.....

;):goodevil:

Nah.... the imporatnt part is the driver's compartment.... the (car) body is designed to crumble and is sacrificed for the human body inside....

the windshield is used to transfer impact energy. Nothing less.... remember one of the basic laws: can't just destroy energy, energy can only be transformed into another.... now you can use that impact energy to deform steel or a human body.... you want to deform as much steel as you can to absorb energy.... that's why you see modern cars totally destroyed after an accident, it's what they're designed to do....

completely different and opposite from a (example) '64 Pontiac

This is all why I bought a rubber bumper C3 instead of a chrome bumper one, those energy absorbing bumpers. :bounce:

I replaced my energy absorbing rubber bumpers with fiberglass but I did use some fancy urethane adhesive for the new windshield - just to be safe :D

...but there is no way some tin frame on a 2500 lbs car is going to best out a mass of 5000 lbs.....NFW......
What about Smart vs Concrete Block?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHpUO-S0i8[/ame]

Long version:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s[/ame]

For me, it brings up a vbulletin message that says "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons. . ."

If I log in again in that window, then I can see the article. Trouble is that I was already logged in and had checked the "remember me" box. Once I am logged in to the Tech section, I no longer get the message. It looks like the site treats tech section logins separately from the regular login.

DC

If my old memory corrects me I believe that windshields became a "structural" part of a vehicle with the advent of air bags. The theory is the windshield is a supporting structure (backing)to the airbag so it stays in its designed position and your impact into it doesn't just push it out the windshield .

For me, it brings up a vbulletin message that says "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons. . ."

If I log in again in that window, then I can see the article. Trouble is that I was already logged in and had checked the "remember me" box. Once I am logged in to the Tech section, I no longer get the message. It looks like the site treats tech section logins separately from the regular login.

DC
It only does it if you for some reason switch between http://vettemod.com and http://www.vettemod.com otherwise you should stay logged in. Logging in automatically sets a cookie on your system, maybe it doesn't recognise the cookie as valid for the tech section and when logging in there it would set a new one. Again checking the checkbox should assure that you stay logged in. session cookies & 3rd party cookies should be accepted.

Turtle, you can access it too. All registered members have full access. No need for drama about being treated unfair. You are being treated above fair, allowing you to have your 2nd account now which normally is a big nono

I replaced my energy absorbing rubber bumpers with fiberglass but I did use some fancy urethane adhesive for the new windshield - just to be safe :D

Use transparent aluminum like Scotty did in Star Trek to make the whale aquarium. That'll provide some structural rigidity.

Turtle, you can access it too. All registered members have full access. No need for drama about being treated unfair. You are being treated above fair, allowing you to have your 2nd account now which normally is a big nono

I agree, after all the heartburn i've given you over the years you are still nice to me. How about turning turtlevette back on and shit-canning rodeck?

Last edited: