I need more boredom in my life, part 2

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
On top of all the other horsecrap I've had going on in the last couple years, we had a small house fire today.
Fortunately it was outside and nothing structural was damaged but we're going to need some paint and stucco work done now.
We had some "ornamental" lights out front on an outdoor rated timer, but the thing stopped timing a while ago and was just stuck on. Didn't really think much about it otherwise, it wasn't too large a load for the outlet or the timer, but something let the smoke out.
Weird thing was I left just a minute before. Walked right past the area, in fact my dogs were there, and there was no hint of a problem. I barely got down the block and realized I forgot something and turned around and came back. As soon as I turned the corner I see black smoke billowing from under our porch area and I can see flames almost at roof height. My neighbors were already inside the gate turning the hose on. Again, luckily both the hose/faucet are right there and my dogs didn't eat anybody.
We really dodged a bullet here. Looks like it's only a few hundred dollars in cosmetic damages but how much worse could this have been had it happened inside? What if it had been a weekday and my neighbors were at work? What if I hadn't forgotten something and turned right around?
I'm pissed that it happened at all but I'm so thankful that in the grand scheme of things it's a lot more of a story than anything else.

My house was built in '72-73 time frame, as so here they used that damn aluminum wiring, here there is only a little of it left to the bedrooms/office for lighting only.....

I used noalox paste on all the connections, and have pulled apart maybe 3 circuits with problems brewing there......all the baths, additions, and kitchen, garage storage/workshop are copper now....an accumulation of 14 years.....

Although your fire seems timer related from what you say, maybe take a glance around, better safe than sorry.....

another thing I hate is stab or push wiring, I have seen dozens of that technique give troubles in homes, and one actually burn pretty badly.....where only ONE outlet with screws on the side gave any troubles, and it was just scorched.....

I used to remodel houses for a living, and so learned about house wiring from asking and watching my electrician, same with my plumber....

:clobbered::nuts:

It seems like your guardian angel was on duty that day, neighbors right there and you turning back like you did....

Hopefully it is all cosmetic and easily remedied.

My next door neighbor had a fire that started from the little mini xmas lights.
She had a decorative wooden thing (not a xmas type thing) on her porch and birds had built a nest on it and when it was left on all day it started in fire. The fire damage was only cosmetic and a few hundred dollars fixed it.

My next door neighbor had a fire that started from the little mini xmas lights.
She had a decorative wooden thing (not a xmas type thing) on her porch and birds had built a nest on it and when it was left on all day it started in fire. The fire damage was only cosmetic and a few hundred dollars fixed it.

HEHE...my wife has a old dead stick bush in the back glass atrium, full of white small christmas lights on a timer....night light....we call it the Charlie Brown Christmas tree......

:surrender::smash:

You were lucky.... now I am getting concerned about the timers that I use for my interior lights.... :huh:

Man, I'm sorry to hear about the fire.
I'm hesitatant to leave anything on when I leave. Even there, there's no guarantee.

Glad it wasn't worse, and glad you have great neighbors.
As stated previously, your guardian angel was definately on duty!

Thanks all for your concern. I'm certain the fire started from one of the ornaments. The Mrs wants to blame some dead leaves that were piled around the bottom of the ornament, which no doubt added fuel. But it was not the source of the fire. Of course, she bought the lighted ornament and it's my job to sweep up the leaves. :surrender:

Thanks all for your concern. I'm certain the fire started from one of the ornaments. The Mrs wants to blame some dead leaves that were piled around the bottom of the ornament, which no doubt added fuel. But it was not the source of the fire. Of course, she bought the lighted ornament and it's my job to sweep up the leaves. :surrender:

Stop it!
Don't try using fact or loigic in your debate, it won't work and you know it!
You're not going to win, save your breath.
Just say yes dear, and move on:crylol:

Stop it!
Don't try using fact or loigic in your debate, it won't work and you know it!
You're not going to win, save your breath.
Just say yes dear, and move on:crylol:

Ahhhh, the wisdom of a long married man...

<greenie's rant>
One more reason to stop wasting electricity on Xmass ornaments.
</greenie's rant>

Phew, almost waited for the next episode.

<greenie's rant>
</greenie's rant>

Even more of a waste is people playing video games.

<greenie's rant>
</greenie's rant>

Even more of a waste is people playing video games.

LOL, fair enough.
Still I'd consider video game as futile, just like watching TV or taking the vette for a purposeless ride. It is a waste of time and energy, but gives you back entertainment, pleasure.
I personally still have a hard time figuring what kind of entertainment you can get out of outside Xmass light.
Just sayin', it's CD thread afterall.
/end of hijack

Ah, you know how it is, xmas lights are a chick thing, when a typical GUY gets involved, it makes the freeking TV NEWS......as in look at THIS shit!!!

:mobeer::mobeer::trumpet::trumpet::bounce:

I didn't get any enterainment out of the lights. I just had to put them up. It's a woman thing, we just can't understand.

...Even more of a waste is people playing video games.

...Especially when driving......:clobbered::nuts::mime:

I shit you not, I've seen people out here driving along with a DVD playing in the dash. Apparently, you just take you car to the dealer and they disable the motion sensor that disables the DVD player.

I found that little bit of info out when I got a lift home from work one night with a BRIT!!! You think someone talking on the phone while driving can be dangerous, try having the driver watch a Pink Floyd concert at 60mph :withstupid:

...Even more of a waste is people playing video games.

...Especially when driving......:clobbered::nuts::mime:

I shit you not, I've seen people out here driving along with a DVD playing in the dash. Apparently, you just take you car to the dealer and they disable the motion sensor that disables the DVD player.

I found that little bit of info out when I got a lift home from work one night with a BRIT!!! You think someone talking on the phone while driving can be dangerous, try having the driver watch a Pink Floyd concert at 60mph :withstupid:

Sort of lends a whole new meaning to the term 'rockin'......

:rolleyes::banned: