Hydroboost, where to find rebuild kit

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
I'm about to install the '93 burban 2500 454ci hydroboot I salvaged last year.
I would have like to refresh it with new seals and o-rings.
Local NAPA only sells complete hydroboost, same for Rockauto.
Do you guys have a idea where I could get a kit from?

I'm about to install the '93 burban 2500 454ci hydroboot I salvaged last year.
I would have like to refresh it with new seals and o-rings.
Local NAPA only sells complete hydroboost, same for Rockauto.
Do you guys have a idea where I could get a kit from?

They are extremely reliable, IMO, having done two of them conversion, one on my vette the other on the motor home, you maybe well just put it in and I bet it works fine.....

one of the units I thought it needed a o'haul kit, found something on the net with a google search....but decided to pull it apart and found something outta position....

it's an amazing simple unit inside....

:bump:

Is this for your vette? I have fixed/replaced both hyrdaboost units on my GMC trucks in the past through Hydratech. Good company, but I'll never choose to replace a vacuum system with hydraboost. Nothing but weight and expense for no noticeable gain, IMHO.

Is this for your vette? I have fixed/replaced both hyrdaboost units on my GMC trucks in the past through Hydratech. Good company, but I'll never choose to replace a vacuum system with hydraboost. Nothing but weight and expense for no noticeable gain, IMHO.
I completely agree. I went from power vacuum brakes to hydraboost then went to manual brakes. I love my manual brakes and would take the original vacuum assist as a second choice. Never again will I mess with hydroboost on my Vette.

I completely agree. I went from power vacuum brakes to hydraboost then went to manual brakes. I love my manual brakes and would take the original vacuum assist as a second choice. Never again will I mess with hydroboost on my Vette.

LIKE to know WTF kind of magic you all did on your brakes.....

seriously....I want ape shit on those SS lined calipers and never had a decent set of brakes....always soft and if pushed hard enough, down to the floor, true maybe I wimpy like a typical girl, but really now....

so pulling the booster vacuum valve from the booster body did not prove any vacuum leaking....and I found no issues when tearing it apart....

but on a direct A-B comparo, without moving the brake lines....that car stopped for the first time and has every time since, without any bullshit soft pedal going to the floor like some POS.....and it WAS the very first GM car to feel any braking confidence with....been decades too.....

then the same thing with the camper....push the pedal, and KNOW you are going to stop, solid feel...

it was some 2 YEARS over there of those threads going on, and I finally broke down and bought something off ebay and tried it out....wish I had known of that trick some decades ago....be on every GM car I own....

not that Chrysler is much better, the limited Ford experiences are good, as the imports are.....just don't like that damn soft assed pedal feel of stock GM brakes.....6' of pedal travel to stop a 3300 lbs car is not confidence building 2" IS......

:shocking::shocking::gurney::pprrtt::beer:

Yes, It's for my Vette.
The brakes were correct at speed, but at idle/low rpm, I always had to smash the pedal to get any kind of response. This was particulary dangerous when driving in town, or at least I feel unsafe about it.
Maybe I have a vacuum leak, never checked that, but given how lumpy is my cam (don't know the exact timing), I wouldn't be surprised it wouldn't suffice anyway.
I've kept the old booster in case, I'll give the hydroboost a try this summer when it runs again (finger crossed).

I get it with the radical cam I suppose. Mine isn't all that radical, I still pull about 12" at idle but I've just never had an issue with my brakes. I think it could just be some cars are like that. I know a lot of people seem to have problems with the vacuum system but I just never had. The one and only time I ever had a problem with my vacuum system it was because the MC leaked and the fluid ruined the diaphragm. I rebuilt the booster and it ran until I sold the car with no problems. The only other time I ever had a brake issue was strictly due to overheating the fluid on track. Hardly anything I can blame on the MC.
On the other hand, both diesel trucks I've owned have had to have a leaking hydraboost unit replaced. Not only are they expensive but the P/S fluid leaking all over the place eats through bushings in addition to making a mess all over the place. So I'm a little biased.

Use caution when you take the hydroboost apart- that little can reservoir has somewhere around 2000 psi if I recall. I may be thinking of something else, but it still pays to err on the side of caution.

Use caution when you take the hydroboost apart- that little can reservoir has somewhere around 2000 psi if I recall. I may be thinking of something else, but it still pays to err on the side of caution.
Thanks for the tip.
I've already taken it apart, but I didn't try to mess with the can reservoir, and I think I won't.
It was in very clean state already and I'm just changing the seals.
Funny you're asking now because today the kit showed up in the mailbox.
Yeah!
16554d59e33a5528c.jpg

Lol, you actually spiked my interest and I ended up taking the pressure backup apart. I've put it in a wise before removing the retaining clip, still, it was stressfull.
Turned ou the reservoir was not under pressure.
Phew.

Lol, you actually spiked my interest and I ended up taking the pressure backup apart. I've put it in a wise before removing the retaining clip, still, it was stressfull.
Phew.

Same here, the accumulator had no pressure so I replaced the internal seal and put it back on. Does yours function correctly, have reserve pressure after the engine is off?

Phew.

Same here, the accumulator had no pressure so I replaced the internal seal and put it back on. Does yours function correctly, have reserve pressure after the engine is off?
Sorry can't tell, car still in pieces, didn't put the engine back to life yet.

It may be that I was thinking of the hydroboost GM used on the big trucks- the 2-1/2 ton size trucks. I recall seeing a caution note in a service manual someplace. I know the big units have an electric motor on them for backup so if the hydraulic pressure is down the motor comes on for boost.

It may be that I was thinking of the hydroboost GM used on the big trucks- the 2-1/2 ton size trucks. I recall seeing a caution note in a service manual someplace. I know the big units have an electric motor on them for backup so if the hydraulic pressure is down the motor comes on for boost.

Thing I love about the HB units is there are no springs between the brake pedal and the master cylinder, solid iron, and solid feel too.....

:bounce: