Comcast = SNAFU, rant

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
It's the New Year, time for those New Years' resolutions, time for change. With that very thought in mind we (me and my Significant Other) decided that 2011 is the year for us to get busy and to get our businesses back on track. She is a lawyer, I have a home maintenance business. To start off the New Year we decided to both start home offices for our businesses (for me it is a re-start). On Jan 3, 2011 I called Comcast so we could have 3 telephones, 1 internet and 3 HD cable TV boxes installed. I was informed that the installation would take place on Jan. 8th between 7 am and 11 am. Prior to Jan. 8th I was contacted by a comcast automated system confirming the installation not once, but 4 times. Each of the 4 times it was necessary for me to call Comcast back to confirm the appointment as the automated system would often hang up before the call was completed. Each call back took over 20 minutes. At 11 am on Jan. 8th the Comcast installer showed up to install 2 HD TV boxes, he had no information relating to the internet or telephone request. Fast Forward....At about 7 pm the installer, with the assistance of 2 other Comcast tech's who had to bring additional equipment, informed me that the installation was complete.
Over the weekend we went to the store and purchased some new telephones and tried to use them. This is when we found out that the telephone installation was a mess, one line did not exist at all and 2 lines were crossed. I called comcast and requested service. It took over 30 minutes on the telephone to get the appointment. I was informed that the first available appointment was not for another 6 days! I was not happy and I complained about it but my issues fell on deaf ears. I was forced to notify the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities about my problem. On Jan 12th I heard from Comcast in response to the NJBPU complaint. The call took over 45 minutes and resulted in an appointment for service on Jan 14th between 7 and 11 am. Comcast did not show for the appointment on the 14th. I called comcast to ask why and they were full of apologies but had no answer for me.:gurney: I waited until later in the day and called again to find out WTF was up. At this point the comcast rep informed me that my appointment was NOT for the morning, but for 7 to 9 pm! At this point I was pretty steamed, these bastards are trying to drive me nuts, probably in retaliation for the complaint to the BPU, so I wrote to the BPU again, outlining the events. Again I get a response from comcast a few days later, again I spend about 30 minutes on the phone repeating myself over and over and over again, these MORONS can't get their noses out of the dark spaces! Again I am promised service, but not for another 2 days!:crutches:
So now I am FURIOUS! I have been lied to, kept on the phone for hours and worse, been effectively held captive for DAYS in my home waiting for comcast to call or show up. After I get off the phone with comcast I finally throw in the towel and call VERIZON. I placed my order with VERIZON on Jan 14th, the installation was scheduled for the 19th. The next day VERIZON sent me an email, confirming my order in writing. They also called ONCE and confirmed the appointment. On Jan. 19th the VERIZON installation tech showed up, he then outlined the services he would perform and went to work. The VERIZON tech. had all of the equipment necessary to complete my installation. The VERIZON tech. was able to complete the installation without having to call for help. The VERIZON installer made sure that all of our telephone and computer connections were functioning properly, as well as the TV's. VERIZON accomplished all that they promised and were much more professional than comcast. What is even better is that VERIZON provides all of these services for LESS MONEY than comcast.
Last night comcast called me again, in response to my 3rd complaint to the BPU about them.:waxer: I was informed that a comcast tech. would be at my home first thing in the morning (Jan. 20th) to fix the telephones. I did not tell comcast that I already had VERIZON out to the house. When the tech. arrived at my door (FINALLY!) I handed him the 3 comcast TV boxes, remotes and the modem and told him that our business was finished. It only took TWO WEEKS! :banghead:

Aren't we all glad that judge ordered AT&T broken up years ago. Prices and service are so much more competitive now.
:sick:
Leave it to our govt to destroy a perfect working , well oiled machine.
Prices are higher than ever, and some companies are just plain incompetent.

DV8, scratch your phone lines, use Magic Jack 20 bux/YEAR and it's just as good as any land line, Linda is a book keeper, has one on her desk, and I have one at my computer with different number....retains ALL the functions of a normal phone setup.....but only one line per phone.....and to boot I can call BFE on it without any LD charges.........

With the Magic Jack, how do you get a phone number if you don't have one?

Go to MagicJack.com or something similar,....and just sign up...
they assign a number.....trick is, you have to use ten digit dialing all the time there....so your area code....mine is 904 (Jax/NE, Florida) then 410-1611

rings right at this desk.....I only use it for fighting the same shit Lee did above, were I get hung up for hours on the phone.....or maybe calling my kids long dist during the daytime hours....

other than that, I'm just cphone....

:gurney:

Gene,

I have had a Magic Jack for almost a year now and it ain't all that great. Sometimes the computer locks up and the phone goes dead. Other times it sounds like Max Headroom is holding the conversation - it can get very glitchy. For my business I need a Yellow Pages listing so people can find me if they call information. M.J. wants to charge me something like $1.30 for every "inquiry" - that can be prohibitive if they are not qualified calls. Can you imagine as few as 10 inquiries a day for a month and what the numbers would add up to? A proper "land line" provides the telephone listing my business needs.

Jeff,

I agree 100%..... Bell telephone worked GREAT. It was reliable and affordable. Then came the baby bells, after that it was the end of decent phone service in America. Prices are through the roof and service is poor at best. Another fine example of how our government is "looking out for us".

Jeff,

Another fine example of how our government is "looking out for us".

Speaking of that. In Lake Forrest, a smaller upper class city here, the city wants to make it ILLEGAL to smoke in your own back yard.
As a smoker, I understand, and can appreciate certain outdoor areas being forebidden, but your own land? That is just ludicrus at best.:club:

Yea busting up AT&T was an awesome plan. Wonder why we trust their insurance plan is even better.

I found a good trick for Comcast when you need service, I was going through something similar with them but not business related, just trying to get our service fixed. I was so mad that I hit the cancel service extension. The funny thing is, the recording will say we do not recognize that input, so you it makes you hit like two more times. Then it will transfer you to a CS agent who is not like any of the other ones you talk on the phone to. Besides apologized a million times they get the issue fixed. We had a service guy over the next day and fixed everything. They did try and charge me a service call and I just told them I would rather cancel so they removed it. She even lowered my monthly bill, and we upgraded to the digital.

Jeff,

Speaking of that. In Lake Forrest, a smaller upper class city here, the city wants to make it ILLEGAL to smoke in your own back yard.
As a smoker, I understand, and can appreciate certain outdoor areas being forebidden, but your own land? That is just ludicrus at best.:club:

I'd tell them 'catch me when you can'.....or quit...

I used to smoke 2.5 packs/day Camel turd unfiltered in the soft pack....

I suppose nitotine and that T something in pot for some reason never affected me much, I quit cigs no sweat, not a second thought....and I get more/better buzz of one beer than a joint...so go figger....I got no fucking clue as to why....just IS....probably goes back to being bit so much messing with electronicals....:shocking::rofl::beer:

The motor home/Jed's Clamper has taken down the Comcrap line to the house about 3x, I finally got it's stretched ass about 3' higher by tieing off the weather head on the main power, just below.....instead of on the house....pretty good stretch to across the street at the power pole.....the guy with the lightening strike, he put his power UNDERGROUND....dug them a trench put in the pipe, and they came out from the electric co op and redid his house power....so he could drag his camp trailer in/out of the yard without snagging 220 VAC.....:shocking:

Linda took the old CRT bedroom Tv to the nursing home she put her mom in just this week, and so I went to Walmart and buy another flat screen set...22" and LED backliet LCD.....228 bux.....20 bux for 2 years add'l service contract, and so 265 bux but the interest free CC gig was for 300 bux and over....so the old retarred lady cashier mentions that, and so starts suggesting how/what to spend 35 extra bux on.....I finally thought....food....no BEER, so cases of Bud and give it to Bob across the street as I mooch enough of his beer anyway.....the old lady laughing her ass off.....this street is the BEST damn hood in town, we all party and joke around help each other out, and drink beer together.....except my wife Linda, she don't drink or smoke.....

:rofl::rofl::shocking: but that's ok, she tolerant of those that do, which is everyone.....:1st:

Jeff,

That is just nucking futz. Next they will try and tell you which room of the house you can smoke in!

Jeff,

That is just nucking futz. Next they will try and tell you which room of the house you can smoke in!

Almost. They specify you have to go in your house, and close all windows and doors first. I kid you not. :club:

Jeff,

Almost. They specify you have to go in your house, and close all windows and doors first. I kid you not. :club:

I guess if you go to the poodle parlor first, not too bad. :devil:

Jeff,

That is some scary shit...

Jeff,

That is some scary shit...

I"d go out back and light a camp fire just for the romance.....

:club::hunter::banned:

F*ck Comcast :smash:
I cancelled the phone service and went with Vonage.
One downside is that if the effing Internet service from Comcast goes on the blink (again) we have no phone service...
I quit smoking two months ago so I've been on a hair trigger ever since....
scarface.gif

Last edited: