69 restomod

Ricks82

I just got started on my 69 project. It's a non numbers matching small block coupe that was apparently was tore down many years ago and has been sitting in pieces ever since. The final product will be a big block restomod. I just got the body off of the frame and the frame was worse than I expected. This is my first project of this caliber as well as my first experience with a rusty frame. What I am going to show first are picture of what look to be the worst of the rust. At this point all I have done is poke around with a screw driver looking for weak spots. I think that this frame would cost more to repair than it's worth. I would like to hear anyone's opinion on this. I already have a healthy 502 for this project so I figure a solid frame is a must. If this frame is a lost cause, there seems to be several places making new frames that accept C4 of C5 suspension. This seems like a descent option. A good used frame with composite front and rear springs seem like a nice improvement to the original 69 suspension. This is a 4 speed car, so I am a little concerned about putting a DANA 36 or 44 behind the 502. Once again any opinions (or options) would be great.

thum_4194d33717ec02e9.jpgthum_4194d3371c1aa880.jpgthum_4194d3371d6048fa.jpgthum_4194d3371e937ead.jpgthum_4194d337201296a8.jpgthum_4194d337223641f8.jpgthum_4194d337263bc4df.jpgthum_4194d33728e84584.jpgthum_4194d3372d8823f6.jpgthum_4194d3372fb985d3.jpgthum_4194d3373368edb5.jpgthum_4194d3373d0c5413.jpg

That frame is trash, and with it looking THAT bad....I would be very suspect of the bird cage....that part that secures the windshield, door hinges, under the sills, back to the latch, and up/over best told by looking at the areas around the w/shield and behind the kick panels...see a bunch of rust on those mounting/frame bolts there you got some issues above...

I would look for new frame, ASSUMING the 'bird cage' is ok, which is doubtful from looking at that frame....

sorry to bear bad news, but from the pix, I can see no other conclusion....

:hi::friends::friends:

That frame is trash, and with it looking THAT bad....I would be very suspect of the bird cage....that part that secures the windshield, door hinges, under the sills, back to the latch, and up/over best told by looking at the areas around the w/shield and behind the kick panels...see a bunch of rust on those mounting/frame bolts there you got some issues above...

I would look for new frame, ASSUMING the 'bird cage' is ok, which is doubtful from looking at that frame....

I've not seen any bad signs on the bird cage. (Of course I might not be looking in the right places.) The windshield frame looks ot have been repaired. The compartments behind the kickpanels and in front of the rear wheels (where I had to remove body mount bolts) looked OK.
I'll go out tomorrow and look at things a little closer
Thanks for the input.:hi:

I've not seen any bad signs on the bird cage. (Of course I might not be looking in the right places.) The windshield frame looks ot have been repaired. The compartments behind the kickpanels and in front of the rear wheels (where I had to remove body mount bolts) looked OK.
I'll go out tomorrow and look at things a little closer
Thanks for the input.:hi:

:clap::clap: HEY man, IF that birdcage is good, we have a winnah!!!!

but look close, that gotta be another frame from the OEM to the car....don't make much sense it's good shape....not with THAT frame anyway....

best of luck, and be very thorough in your search, best to avoid unwanted sex....getting screwed....

:hi::clap::crutches:

thats actually pretty good, I have seen (and owned) much worse.

YUP, that's better than mine....and my cage was totally redone and painted when p/owners did the burgundy paint maybe 25 years ago.....

:bounce:

It's a winnah....

:trumpet::trumpet:

I'm Still researching aftermarket frames. A lot of money, but a lot of bang for the buck too.:mobeer: