EFI computers......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I have a L98 engine with LT1 induction and 24 lbs injectors on the line now....

so what I want is to ditch the stock speed density 1227730 computer because of programming issues....

so I don't really see ditching the HEI ignition either....at least as far as the coil and cap are concerned.....

so what sort of GM? computers from later cars are out there, that can learn/program themselves OR are EASY to set up myself with a laptop having a USB port on it....nothing antiquated like the older systems using 9 pin D connectors.....

looking for junkyard units, maybe a few suggestions as to what vehicles to look for also.....

thanks...

so what I want is to ditch the stock speed density 1227730 computer because of programming issues....

so I don't really see ditching the HEI ignition either....at least as far as the coil and cap are concerned.....

so what sort of GM? computers from later cars are out there, that can learn/program themselves OR are EASY to set up myself with a laptop having a USB port on it....nothing antiquated like the older systems using 9 pin D connectors.....

looking for junkyard units, maybe a few suggestions as to what vehicles to look for also.....

thanks...

Gene,

The fact is that many devices that need to communicate with real world sensors do this with DB9 connector, because of reliability. Just try to find a older computer. It works like a charm.

thanks...

Gene,

The fact is that many devices that need to communicate with real world sensors do this with DB9 connector, because of reliability. Just try to find a older computer. It works like a charm.

Tried all that DB9 stuff from DIY-EFI some years ago, and had nothing but head hammering frustrations dealing with all the communications crap....

so looking for some more modern....the old Bowling Grippo stuff maybe work fine, but not worth the money/time hassle....looking for a more intelligent modern computer that can .com with a USB laptop, and make sense, not nonsense....

:crutches:

Gene, get the earlier MAF ECU, it runs so much nicer with the MAF than with the SD.

Gene, get the earlier MAF ECU, it runs so much nicer with the MAF than with the SD.

I thought everyone wanted to get away from the earlier MAF ECU's???

That would be a plumbing issue, where to put the MAF in a typical shark...
no room for a typical up and over air induction, except I did it anyway....dual snorkles up front, but the rad support, and run the pipe....hinged the hood from the cowling end, and kept my operating wiper door, hood pins in front....

nuttin' stock on this car, not nuttin....

so for me to run a MAF is not sweat, just need a later computer to run it with, and of course it's gotta be compatible as a system....meaning GM...can't see a Ford/or Jap computer running this engine....there is still the HEI/ignition control aspect too....

I want to be able to take my wife's 17" Dell laptop that I can actually read the screen on, and plug into USB and just DO....

another trick, I don't spend uber bux on some 'program' .....

:hunter::club:

Gene,

The biggest obstacle I see is ECM software compatibility with your sensors. I assume you're using an EST distributor, which means that the "new ECM" software must be compatible with the one-pulse-per-cylinder timing information. Most PFI setups transitioned to higher resolution crank sensors (18, 24, 60, or even 360? pulses per crank revolution). Off the top of my head I would think that your ECM options are limited to the computers that are compatible with whatever crankshaft/distributor sensor system you are using.

Gene,

The biggest obstacle I see is ECM software compatibility with your sensors. I assume you're using an EST distributor, which means that the "new ECM" software must be compatible with the one-pulse-per-cylinder timing information. Most PFI setups transitioned to higher resolution crank sensors (18, 24, 60, or even 360? pulses per crank revolution). Off the top of my head I would think that your ECM options are limited to the computers that are compatible with whatever crankshaft/distributor sensor system you are using.

That's what I looking for, what factory stock GM (I assume it has to be?) computers are more modern, easy to talk to with a laptop, don't require a fortune for a program....and work with a HEI?? I suppose I could get the crank pully drilled for a Crank sensor, any resolution needed, but and instll a cam sensor....or maybe easier to just redo the HEI??

what sort of vehicle it comes out of??

:confused2::amazed:

Gene,

That's what I looking for, what factory stock GM (I assume it has to be?) computers are more modern, easy to talk to with a laptop, don't require a fortune for a program....and work with a HEI?? I suppose I could get the crank pully drilled for a Crank sensor, any resolution needed, but and instll a cam sensor....or maybe easier to just redo the HEI??

Gene, you have at least 2 oxymoron's there: "GM and easy to tune", and "don't require a fortune for a program". IMO, you are trying to marry 1980's hardware with 2000+aftermarket software. Me thinks you are in for a battle. Same reason many programs and devices won't run on my ancient shop computer running Windows 2000.

Gene,

Gene, you have at least 2 oxymoron's there: "GM and easy to tune", and "don't require a fortune for a program". IMO, you are trying to marry 1980's hardware with 2000+aftermarket software. Me thinks you are in for a battle. Same reason many programs and devices won't run on my ancient shop computer running Windows 2000.

SOSBDD eh??, crap, I was thinking maybe there was a era of development in there so I could update the computer and maybe then redo a couple lines of program, or load another table, and get done with it....simple....

I simple not shelling out a fortune for some computer to have the same issues I did with the Bowling-Grippo thing some 5? years ago....

:ill::crap::gurney:

Gene,

SOSBDD eh??, crap, I was thinking maybe there was a era of development in there so I could update the computer and maybe then redo a couple lines of program, or load another table, and get done with it....simple....

I simple not shelling out a fortune for some computer to have the same issues I did with the Bowling-Grippo thing some 5? years ago....

:ill::crap::gurney:

If you were closer, I'd let you play with the tuning features of my FAST system. Easy to use and learn. Never a glitch between the ECU and laptop. No code to write, just manual inputs of numbers into tables. I know these can be expensive, but that ease of tuning is what you pay for.

Gene, buy an ostrich 2.0 and a calpak adapter board, then use that to tune the system you already have. Check your BIN broadcast code, you can use aujp or if you convert to MAF the older ecm w/ the arap bin. They are easily found on the net, ready to download and go from there.

The restrictive maf issue is easily overcome. I'm runing a custom tune w/ extended maf tables, a 4" custom tube w/ film type maf and a supercharger, all w/ the stock ECM.

Another one has the later s/d system. It's a little bit harder to get perfect but I'm almost there, running custom tune off aujp.

An ostrich costs 200$ w/ the mem adapter. Then all you need is an aldl to usb cable, free downloadable software to read the data stream (or use tunerpro RT) and a WBO2 setup would be great to get an idea of actual AF ratio.

You do NOT have to write code. All you do is alter numerals in tables, easily identified by their name.

oh and if you decide to get something that requires a crank sensor, ditch the stock timing cover for a vortec one, it's set up for a crank sensor. Can use the rest of the vortec crank sensor system too

Thanks Marck, that going to be printed out for ref when I get busy some day when weather gets better, in sunny FLORIDA