Run Flat Tire Machine? WTF?

wickd

My buddy Chris at the tire store just called me and said my new wheels are in (Boyd Coddington) but when he tried to mount them up he cant get the tire to on the rim right so he called Boyds and they told him he needs a run flat tire machine to mount them. He has been the tire business for years and has never heard of a run flat tire machine before. He just did a set of run flat tires (18's and 19"s) off a newer vette with no problems. Soo what is and where might I find a run flat tire mounting machine?? He is a Les Schwab dealer by the way.

Mike

I think there is a difference, the wheel guy here uses a different machine for EMTs, soemthing w/ the bead guide or something due to the much stiffer sidewalls

I don't think when you buy a tire machine it is for EMT or non EMT. You have older machines that are not capable of doing some of the EMT. We have a Hunter TC3500. It does everything that we can throw at it. Some tires are more difficult then others. Are they perhaps a reverse drop mount where the wheel has to be mounted upside down?

I ended up mounting them by hand. I built a tool with a curved metal rind that I could use to collapse the bead on one side so I could get the other side bead on. And yes they do have to go on from the back. I have some pics in my "my project" thread in projects.