Who Makes The Best Windshield Wipers?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Winter is tough on windshield wipers and the wipers on both of my winter vehicles suck.

Who makes to best?

I always buy just the rubber inserts....yellow/blue hang up package, damn if I remember the company name, but they been around since Ben Hur and the Charriots.....

:clap:

That is kind of a gripe of mine in that those inserts are harder to find, all I see is the stupid assemblies damn dumb bastards....

spend 25 bux on a fugly neon colored wiper assy....:bomb:

I like the Michelin ones from Wally World. So does Consumer Reports. They have two differnt lines now. I've got one of each on my car because they never have my size in stock and I think they are equivalent. I want to say around $7 each. They last me a year out here but mostly because the summers are so hot.

I like the Michelin ones from Wally World. So does Consumer Reports. They have two differnt lines now. I've got one of each on my car because they never have my size in stock and I think they are equivalent. I want to say around $7 each. They last me a year out here but mostly because the summers are so hot.

:lol: The ones on the vette last forever, because I have that silly wiper door, being a '72.......but the wife's car is a once/year replacement.....and of course her paint clocks 165f in the summer sunshine without wind blowing.....

:crutches:

It was a rainey Sunday morning, and drove to a local filling station to fill up before making a long drive. I noticed that the rubber edge (that wipes the glass) had tore off near the end of the wiper blade. That meant that if it got worse, the metal on the wiper arm would contact the windshield glass and wear a grove in the glass. What to do? I got a rubber band and wrapped it many times around the metal arm and torn rubber edge. Now the end of the wiper was prevented from ever contacting the glass by the rubber band loops. I ran the wiper blades probably 3 hours with no problem.

Later I replaced the wiper blades with some I bought from a NAPA store.

Here in FL it's the sun causing the wipers to deteriorate, mine usually last about a year and that's it, regardless of what brand and how much I use the wipers ... Rain X wipers seem to be really good, they wipe really clean :D and are less than $20 for the pair (depending on size)....

About windshield wipers....It's very interesting that in Thailand, when people park their car outside, they will often pull the windshield wipers out into a full open position, as if they were going to replace blades. Thailand is usually very hot. Local folklore is that if you leave the windshield wipers down on the glass, the heat will deform the rubber. Left in the sun, the interior of cars becomes extremely hot and also presumably the windshield glass also so this deforms the wiper blades and ages them. Local belief is that extending the wiper blades into full open position preserves the rubber.

An unrelated matter. In parking garages, Thai's typically double park. This means that when you go to drive your car away, its blocked by another car! What to do?? The double parking Thai's leave their car in Neutral so you can push their car out of the way for you to exit. If you need some pushing help, the security guards in the parking garages will come over to help you to push the blocking car away. Have experienced this many times over the last 20 years.

Winter is tough on windshield wipers and the wipers on both of my winter vehicles suck.

Who makes to best?

I normally run good quality blade in the summer and buy a set of Artic brand winter blades for each of my vehicles for the winter months. I normally can get the Artic winter blades for around $4-5 a blade and they last all winter.

While not the best quality they have never failed me in the winter and that is what matters most to me. Both my wifes and my daily driver vehicles also put on between 20,000 25,000 miles per year in NW IL so its not like they don't see a lot of nasty weather driving.

Last edited:

Who makes to best?

I normally run good quality blade in the summer and buy a set of Artic brand winter blades for each of my vehicles for the winter months. I normally can get the Artic winter blades for around $4-5 a blade and they last all winter.

While not the best quality they have never failed me in the winter and that is what matters most to me. Both my wifes and my daily driver vehicles also put on between 20,000 25,000 miles per year in NW IL so its not like they don't see a lot of nasty weather driving.

I dunno how in hell I stood it in Maryland for 53 years, 4' of snow in my driveway last winter there....dumped the house just to get out....

:cussing::hissyfit::censored: