My project

wickd

I have a few posts started around the forum about my project but I decided I need to have a central location to post to with updates so I can find it easy.
I have a 72 vette with a 468 big block, twin turbos, and a 4l80e trans. Its a blow through turbo setup and its been on the road for almost four years. I been collecting parts for almost seven years to do a c-4 suspension swap. I picked up a complete front and rear (dana 44) for 800 bucks off ebay about six years ago. Also picked up tires during the same time period, brand new michelin pilot sports, 335/30/18's and 275/35/18's for 800 bucks also. A couple of years ago I picked up a frame for 200 bucks so I can build the frame without having my car apart, then when I get the frame done I can swap the body, ect over to the new frame. I been waiting on wheels for quite a while, 18x12 rims were very expensive and it seemed only a few mfg made them, was hoping they would become more commonplace and the prices would come down. I finally ordered them in nov and they should be here in a few weeks.
I had an old truck bed laying around and decided it would make a great deck to put the frame on and build it. I got the frame welded to it and been eyeballing the suspension pieces to see what I need to do to get it installed. I am going to cut the rear frame rails and move them in around three inches on each side, my goal is to tuck the tires under the stock fenders. I have to wait till the tires get here to get final dimensions. I will probably have to move the front in some too. I like the idea of a stock looking car but with extras if you look closer. I have a pic of a c-2 that I love the stance on that I will post. I set an old block with a 4l80e case in the frame today so I can start on the trans crossmember, way longer that the turbo 350 trans that was in it. I may just build a whole new crossmember, right now I have side exhausts on the car but its a little too loud for me after I drive awhile so I may put the exhaust back under the car in which case the 3" pipes might not fit through the crossmember anyway. I might even leave the sidepipes on and have two exhaust systems, one thats quiet and one that looks good (side pipes). Anyway here are a few pics of the project so far. Here is an earlier post with a few pics also.

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5931

Attachments

• corp_0612_07_z+1966_chevrolet_corvette_vette_rod_vitamin_c2+exterior_front_view.jpg
    corp_0612_07_z+1966_chevrolet_corvette_vette_rod_vitamin_c2+exterior_front_view.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 1212001048.jpg
    1212001048.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1222000621.jpg
    1222000621.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 60
Looking good! You should be able to pick some brains about the C4 susp. install here. I'm going to follow this one :thumbs:

Looking good! You should be able to pick some brains about the C4 susp. install here. I'm going to follow this one :thumbs:

:devil: Yeh man, that's going to be one evil nasty SOB when it gets done.....

:clap::clap::beer::1st:

Nice, really looking forward to seeing this project.

Are you using the C4 front crossmember?

Not sure yet, need to see how wide everything will end up after I get the wheels/tires. Probably have them in a few weeks I hope. I want to get the trans crossmember finished up before they get here.
If I run 3 inch exhaust pipes through the crossmember, how big should I make the pipes in the trans crossmember for the exh pipes to go through?

Not sure yet, need to see how wide everything will end up after I get the wheels/tires. Probably have them in a few weeks I hope. I want to get the trans crossmember finished up before they get here.
If I run 3 inch exhaust pipes through the crossmember, how big should I make the pipes in the trans crossmember for the exh pipes to go through?

Having been coping with that exhausting problems through the cross member over many changes on trannies....I suspect you need to either buy a aftermarket cross member or modify your old one....MY car was a Muncie 4 speed, and so I finally got tired of all the bullshit with those loops, and cut the lower loops out, and bridged the top sections....and lowered the pipes maybe 2" or so....the cross support is welded in structural wise, and above the pipes....so anyone could plumb 4" pipes if wanted....

:clap::shocking:

Do you have a pic of how you did your crossmember?

This was sparked together by my welder buddy, quick down and dirty...and it WAS dirty.....

Attachments

• cross support 002.JPG
    cross support 002.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 57
  • cross support 004.JPG
    cross support 004.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 56
Got to tell you GENE, structurally that thing doesn't even look like it should be there. Just not really enough support. I can only imagine the amount of flex that thing gives in those cut outs.

Got to tell you GENE, structurally that thing doesn't even look like it should be there. Just not really enough support. I can only imagine the amount of flex that thing gives in those cut outs.

That added steel is 1/4 inch plate, just scraps laying around, and i'ts stronger than the OEM piece.....believe me....

:shocking:

You will love it!
The way it feels and handles from before is like night /day!

Well I got wheels and tires! I ended up mounting them up myself, my friend that I bought them from tried mounting one and ran into some problems with them and he was afraid getting too mean with them and scratching them up so he didnt dare do them . I called around to several other tire stores and basically got blown off, "O we don't want to mess with those". I spent an hour cobbling together something that I could use to push the beads down with. It worked ok and got the job done in the end. The next step is finishing the trans mount, I have it figured out just got to weld it together. After that I am going to do the rear suspension. It looks like I need to move a section of frame in 3 inches on each side to give me room for the 335's to tuck nicely in the stock fenders. The stock 12 inch brakes look pretty small inside of those wheels (18's).

Attachments

• 0109011407.jpg
    0109011407.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 0109012151.jpg
    0109012151.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 27
  • 0109012148.jpg
    0109012148.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 0109012147.jpg
    0109012147.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Do you have a pic of how you did your crossmember?
I used 4.5 inch OD, 4 inch ID tubing. Look for scraps pieces at a shop that makes flag poles, among other tubing/pipe projects. Moving the exhaust pipe opening to the outside keep everything lined up with headers, and of course, allows the exhaust to be easily dropped down for future work.

CrossmemberModifications013.jpg
[/IMG]
CrossmemberModifications015.jpg
[/IMG]
CrossmemberModifications016.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Yeh, mine is more down and dirty from what was around for material to work with, yours is much more of a artwork....

:drink::drink: