EFI fuel pump recommendation?

Bullshark

My old in-line Holley fuel pump Part #: 12-927 that came with the Holley Commander 950 kit sounds like it is getting ready to shoot craps. I am thinking about purchasing the Holley Part #: 12-920. This is the one I am using on the RamJet 502 and has been working good for me so far. What do you guys think? Are there better choices out there?

Bullshark

Last edited:
The holley style aeromotive pumps are crap, the cylindrical ones are fine, I use SX

Hello Z, See you made the trip over.:thumbs: Welcome aboard.

Naw, I haven't done any calculation. My primary concern is quality and reliability. My 69 427 has the old Holley Commander 950 on it with 30 lb. injectors and inline pump that came with the kit. I have a new set of 44's ready for installation. My old school Crane Fireball cam with the high compression TRW domed pistons 427 engine is pushing the duty cycle. I haven't settled down with my final configuration here, thinking about updating the cam, heads and valve train some time in the future. I think a little over kill here is probably worth it. I talked to Doug (Holley) when I was down in BG last weekend and he pointed me in the direction of the Holley Part #: 12-920. This is the same one I have on the RamJet and it has done pretty good so far.......Knock on wood.

Bullshark

Last edited:
I replaced the 'in tank' fuel pump on one of our Camaros about a year ago, major PITA.... a little off topic maybe but why do they place the pump inside the tank ??? So that the fuel is cooling the pump ? On these F-bodies the pump is in a little bucket so even if the tank is empty the pump is still submerged in fuel.

I don't see any other advantage, I'd use a external pump and filter setup. The stock GM pump was good for over 100K miles - not sure about Walbro and other pumps that are praised in the LS1 world, LS1tech for example. If you find a external pump made by Holley or other name brand they usually come with a lifetime warranty just like all the other stuff at the parts store... keep the receipt, it's not all that difficult to replace if it is a external pump...

I replaced the 'in tank' fuel pump on one of our Camaros about a year ago, major PITA.... a little off topic maybe but why do they place the pump inside the tank ??? So that the fuel is cooling the pump ? On these F-bodies the pump is in a little bucket so even if the tank is empty the pump is still submerged in fuel.

I would imagine it's for priming. In service stations with the new dispensers, they have been moved from the "pump" dispenser to the tanks as well.

I have a redundant fuel pump system on my 63. I have the in-tank pump and also installed an external pump in case of failure of the in-tank unit (already had it go bad once). Now if the internal pump fails I change the plug and am on the road again. Matter of fact I switch pumps every 30 days just to keep them both loaded with fresh fuel.

Rich

Attachments

• DSC01785.JPG
    DSC01785.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01786.JPG
    DSC01786.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01787.JPG
    DSC01787.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01788.JPG
    DSC01788.JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 12
I have the Aeromotive A1000 and so far so good. I am wondering if voltage fluctuations are affecting my fuel pressure though and whether I need a regulator of some sort.