Shifter throw

TimAT

Addict, Cruise-In Bird-Run 1 Veteran
Just got thinking again- I know, bad idea, but I got to thinking about how to cut the distance the shifter travels from 1st to 2nd and the other shifts too. Maybe a longer arm on the trans? My idea is to cut it from the 4" travel down to the shortest possible distance and still get 100% engagement. Maybe longer arms on both ends? Custom made shifter? On a Muncie, some of the other trannys already have a very short throw.:search:

I should have mentioned it-- The current shifter is Hurst Competion Plus.. And I saw that thread= it's what got me thinking about making shorter throws

A few years ago while looking thru a vette catalog I saw an item to purchase that came from a vette older than mine. It was the shifter plate that attaches to shift shafts on side of trans. It had more than the one hole needed to install on shaft plus the hole for shift rod. They were made to make stroke shorter. They did not come on all year vettes as standard eq. Put it on back of burner for future mod and forgot until I saw this thread. Something for you to consider. Steve

On the m3's we would change the shifter lever pivot, sometimes we would thread the shifter lever through the ball to make it adjustable.

Yes, I'm interested in less throw.

Just got thinking again- I know, bad idea, but I got to thinking about how to cut the distance the shifter travels from 1st to 2nd and the other shifts too. Maybe a longer arm on the trans? My idea is to cut it from the 4" travel down to the shortest possible distance and still get 100% engagement. Maybe longer arms on both ends? Custom made shifter? On a Muncie, some of the other trannys already have a very short throw.:search:

Tim:
I looked into this and you would need shorter Shift Levers. The ones I found -so far- are the 69 Camaro. It's shorter but 3-4 is 25* to back. :skeptic:

Tim:
I looked into this and you would need shorter Shift Levers. The ones I found -so far- are the 69 Camaro. It's shorter but 3-4 is 25* to back. :skeptic:

So the 3-4 lever is 25* too far to the rear? If I can get a pattern I'll whittle out whatever works..

Has anyone experimented with shorter 1-2 and 3-4 levers on the transmission? ...or are they as short as possible already?

I've studied this quite a bit. In 78 I put a Mr. Gasket Shifter in. The throw was MUCH shorter than the Hurst is. The levers are shorter by -maybe- a 3/8 to 1/2inch, this is from memory. You could drill a rod hole lower down on the lever to shorten the throw on the hurst. Now, remember, as you shorten the throw the greater the force is needed to shift.:goodevil:

SO quit foolin' around and find them.. A pattern would be useful:trumpet:

With the mood I'm in nowadays......................Ok, I'll see what I can find. You know, we could use the old Mr Gasket levers. They are still on the original M20 for the 64. :push:

But, those are for 63 thru 68 side cover with stud. To fit 69 later, the mounting slot will have to that of 69 and later with mounting bolt.

Last edited:
I know you've got a lot of stuff going on. But SOMEONE has to keep you moving or you'll go set in the corner and start to look like Budda. The little fat guy that's always smiling. Not Bubba, the guy that's always chopping something up and doing half-assed repairs.

I know you've got a lot of stuff going on. But SOMEONE has to keep you moving or you'll go set in the corner and start to look like Budda. The little fat guy that's always smiling. Not Bubba, the guy that's always chopping something up and doing half-assed repairs.

I can do both as well-if not better-than most. :flash:

Just, right now, I'm not at my best.:rain: