NiCad vs NMHi battery charging requirements

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
My wife's portable dustbuster vacuum has taken a powder and needs new batteries. I'm trying to find new NiCads to replace them (the original ones are soldered/welded together, and I'm not going to pay the outrageous price to get more of the originals), but I'm striking out finding C size replacements. I do see a bunch of NMHi batteries of somewhat similar voltage on the store shelves, but the back of the package mentions using chargers only for NMHi batteries. Can someone save me a bunch of googling, and explain the charging reqirement differences between these two type batteries?

thanks,
Mike

Can't help you on the charging shit, but there is a joint just next door....called BATTERIES + maybe they spell it out PLUS....at any rate they rebuilt a battery pack for me 18 volt Ryobi.....35 bux....look in mint/money/addys for discount coupons....

they are a chain outfit....so maybe near you??

btw, they carry every damn battery in town....krazy stock.....:confused::drink:

Last edited:
I ran into the exact same problem with my Black and Decker 9.6 volt rechargable vacuum and found that they were in fact Sub C batteries. I found this on ebay and ordered them. I believe they will be stronger but thought it was worth a try and not to difficult to set up since I ordered them with the tabs. I ordered 20 since I figured if they work I'll do a couple other rechargables.

!B)4PVRQCGk~$(KGrHqJ,!joEw5JYckHjBMPW1bZrig~~_12.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170513393107&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I ran into the exact same problem with my Black and Decker 9.6 volt rechargable vacuum and found that they were in fact Sub C batteries. I found this on ebay and ordered them. I believe they will be stronger but thought it was worth a try and not to difficult to set up since I ordered them with the tabs. I ordered 20 since I figured if they work I'll do a couple other rechargables.

!B)4PVRQCGk~$(KGrHqJ,!joEw5JYckHjBMPW1bZrig~~_12.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170513393107&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Looks interesting. I'll look into it.

I just did the swap and have placed the Black and Decker dust buster on charge. I would imagine the first charge would take maybe 24 hrs from the rebuild?

Keep in mind that for my B&D they weren't size C batteries, they were Sub C which means they're the same width but not as tall. They're not as common therefore a bit more expenive. I believe the swap cost me around $12.00. When I have time I think I'll try one of the Dewalt drill batteries since I have some left over.

Last edited:
Tried out the dustbuster today and it seems to work fine. When I use the carpet attatchment it seems to wear down the batteries much faster but at least it lasts a bit longer then when it came new.

69427, it took me about 2.0 hrs to take the unit apart, seperate the battery pack, solder the new battery tabs together and make up a new positive, negative wire loop and reassemble. That includes getting the tools together, putting them back and plugging the vacuum back in the wall.

Last edited:
I contemplated doing this to replace the two used up 14.4v batteries I have for my Craftsman drill but by the time I added it all up it appears to be cheaper to buy a new drill. I rarely used the drill and am now looking for a new one that uses lithium-ion batteries.

I contemplated doing this to replace the two used up 14.4v batteries I have for my Craftsman drill but by the time I added it all up it appears to be cheaper to buy a new drill. I rarely used the drill and am now looking for a new one that uses lithium-ion batteries.

DeWalts are the best bang for the buck.

You can get a new 18V NiCad drill at Home Dump/Lowes for $99.00 this weekend. That's two batteries, the drill is free.

Tried out the dustbuster today and it seems to work fine. When I use the carpet attatchment it seems to wear down the batteries much faster but at least it lasts a bit longer then when it came new.

69427, it took me about 2.0 hrs to take the unit apart, seperate the battery pack, solder the new battery tabs together and make up a new positive, negative wire loop and reassemble. That includes getting the tools together, putting them back and pluggin the unit back in the wall.

Best advice. NiCads have "memory". The first time you use one, drain it "ALL" the way down before recharging. IF you use it just a little, and charge it, it will only discharge down that far and die.

Also, GOOD units have a dischagre cut off. IF you discharge a NiCad down to ZERO, it dies. It MUST have a min charge left.

I know a lot about NiCad batteries, but I know almost nothing about NMHi batteries. If the NMHi batteries have output voltages almost equal to the NiCad batteries, you can use NHMi batteries. But I don't think you'd want to use a NiCad battery charger for a NMHi battery charger and vice versa. A battery cell: lead acid, NiCad, NMHi, Lithium ion, all have slightly different cell voltages. 12 cells of lead acid, through to 12 cells of lithium ion, all results in a battery of different intrinsic voltage. All of these batteries need chargers specifically designed for their type.

A battery charger designed for one type of battery might be useful for a battery of another type, but not optimally.

Also, GOOD units have a dischagre cut off. IF you discharge a NiCad down to ZERO, it dies. It MUST have a min charge left.
Are you saying, don't let it drain totally? In other words, let the batttery wear down to 90%?

SO how in hell anyone know?? they come with a neon sign on them?? flashing 91% or whatever???

batteries suck,.....always some excuse, but whatever, the battery or it's connections are BAD....the most disgusting asssssspect of car and electronics....

:evil::gurney::banghead:

Are you saying, don't let it drain totally? In other words, let the batttery wear down to 90%?

I am saying drain it down the first use till the vacuum "dies", then recharge it.

You can get a new 18V NiCad drill at Home Dump/Lowes for $99.00 this weekend. That's two batteries, the drill is free.

Hell with THAT... a 18 volt drill/light/charger and 2 batteries was only 35 some odd bux at harbor freight......I figgered it for short life, buy my Dewalt was the worst of the bunch, the Ryobi lasted longer for less than 1/2 the price at 100 bux for the set....I had the last battery for the Ryobi renewed because nothing beats that light for under car work....saw HF addy the other day same setup like 20 bux.....my HF drill/batteries/charger been fine, don't think much of the light though, lens is a mess.....no focus on one area....

:drink:

Hell with THAT... a 18 volt drill/light/charger and 2 batteries was only 35 some odd bux at harbor freight......I figgered it for short life, buy my Dewalt was the worst of the bunch, the Ryobi lasted longer for less than 1/2 the price at 100 bux for the set....I had the last battery for the Ryobi renewed because nothing beats that light for under car work....saw HF addy the other day same setup like 20 bux.....my HF drill/batteries/charger been fine, don't think much of the light though, lens is a mess.....no focus on one area....

Gene, I use these things everyday at work. Contractors know the bang for the buck. They ALL use DeWalts. Ryobi is okay. Harbor Freight power tools are horrible at best.

Gene, I use these things everyday at work. Contractors know the bang for the buck. They ALL use DeWalts. Ryobi is okay. Harbor Freight power tools are horrible at best.

Bird, U must have forgot, I"m a contractor too.....my DeWalt drill started troubles, and the batteries died, neighbor had batteries, I gave him the drill....it lasted me less then 2 years....
went Ryobi for 100 bux....the drill bit the dust and the batteries notlong after...killer light though, like I said....

just bought that HF, and been using it steady on every damn day....so far so good, but it's only been 3 months now....

:shocking::clap: