Brake Booster Restoration

Stpman

I have the booster off my 73 and want to take it apart to clean and paint it, is there anything I need to know before opening it up and taking it apart for blasting of the case?

Stp

They are pretty stupid simple, and just about never fail. Unless your gonna NCRS plate it, I would wire wheel that sucker and paint it assembled. Honest.

Bird is right, when converting to HB setup, I took my 35 y/o booster apart just to see what was what, and so found it was in good shape as expected, but it did not come apart easy, in fact I destroyed the main shell, that mother was together really good, I"ll say that.....

:hissyfit::bonkers::crap:

Bird is right, when converting to HB setup, I took my 35 y/o booster apart just to see what was what, and so found it was in good shape as expected, but it did not come apart easy, in fact I destroyed the main shell, that mother was together really good, I"ll say that.....

:hissyfit::bonkers::crap:

Well I got the Booster apart and I'm glad I did (wasn't as hard as I thought it would be), this thing is a mess inside, don't know if I'll use it (have to see if I can get the parts from a local rebuilder). it had about an ounce of brake fluid and a bad rusty part of the shell, at the very least the shell has to have a bath to remove the rust.

Stp

As long as the rubber and the floating valve is fine it can be rebuilt. I managed to save a 30y/o rusty bugger from a 69 cyclone last week,upon opening about a tea cup full of rust fell out, took it all apart, glass beaded the internals, a bit of paint, put it back together and eh presto, a working booster. The original booster looked brand new inside and out, only problem, the floating valve was bad (wouldn't release vac from rear chamber) and non serviceable (hurray for plastic)